Parents Confusing Training Groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a somewhat odd question. My daughter competed level 5 last season. For a number of the girls, including my DD, they were repeating level 5. They were supposed to train level 6 and possibly compete level 6 later in the season (they did do one meet) but they didn't really happen. After States, the coach told the team that all of the girls would be moving up -- some would go to 6, some might do IPO, and some 7.

My DD is one of a handful of girls who all had good seasons at Level 5 and are in the 10/11 year old age range. One of the girls actually won states in her age category. We were told (individually) at our end of season meetings that our girls would be "training level 7" but would likely compete level 6 and then IPO. For summer placements, these girls along with a few others will be training together.

There is another group of girls who competed level 5 and are younger who are going to be training with girls who just finished level 4 but are talented and the gym wants to fast-track. The general understanding is that the gym is focused on this group actually competing level 7 (of course, girls would have to score out of lower levels).

Two questions: 1) How would you train such a disparate group of girls? Some of these kids have level 6/level 7 skills and some (the little ones that just finished level 4 don't as yet? 2)My daughter doesn't understand why some of her former teammates are in this group given that all but one of them do not have the skills that she does. Do I ask the coaches for an explanation so I can explain to her or just tell her to accept it without understanding?

As a gym Mom and regular reader of this forum my best guess is to tell you this: You will never figure out what or why coaches or judges do what they do. With you coaches you just need to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. If you trust you coaches then you should have nothing to worry about. I have to tell my daughter all the time that in this sport you are going to have to pass a lot of friend and have some pass you. You don't get a choice in these things. Your DD will get with her new group and make new friends and move on. I think if you explain that to her she will be fine.

In every training group there are some gymnasts that are ahead of the curve, skill wise, and others that have to work very hard to not get left behind. It is not uncommon to have some mixed groups- particularly including girls who show "promise" in the hopes that they will step up to the challenge. I would think that as long as your daughter is still being challenged and progressing toward her goals, then it should not matter much what the other girls are doing. This can be a great opportunity for your dd to lead by example!
As long as you are fine with your dd competing 6 then IPO as the gym communicated, and things are on track for that- just enjoy the ride. If, however, your dd was hoping to compete level 7, as these other girls seem to be moving towards, then by all means, communicate that to the coach. Good luck!

A good coach can train a very diverse group of gymnasts at the same time. The kids don't all need to be working on the same thing or being doing the same skills to train together.

Gyms are not always looking for skills when deciding groups and levels. If these girls are younger they may feel they have the potential to hit elite in which case they will have them get through the compulsorily and into optionals as quickly as possible. Their goals would not necessarily be to have the girls do well in competition now but to be competitive at the top level in a few years.

Your daughters group being older, the goal may be to do well at competitions now, have the, compete 6 or 7 and make the top comps and do well. With less rush as their goal may be to reach level 10 by say 10th grade so they could have a shot at college scholarships. But for an elite kid you need them level 10 standard by about 11 years old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back