Contacting college coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastralo

Hi

Im a junior in HS, and looking into a division 3 gymnastics college. I was wondering what types of questions I should email the coach if Im interested? And would it be ok if I asked if they are going to be posting videos of meets for this year? Also how can I ask the coach what type of skill level / skills they are looking for in a recruit?( could I even ask this without souding rude or i dont know if it is acceptable to ask such questions)

Thanks

What you should do is go on their website and look at their roster to see what type of gymnasts they've recruited in the past ...i.e were they all Level 10s , some 9s , 10s that had all been to Nationals etc. That will give you a good idea if you stack up against the competition. Then create a youtube channel for yourself with your videos of meets, skills you're training, skills you can do etc...they can be short clips but should be easy to view. When you email the coach, you are basically selling yourself to their program so don't hold back (don't lie but definitely toot your own horn). A sample email could go like this:

Dear Coach XXX:

My name is Susie Smith and I am a Jr at South High School (GPA 3.9) in Houston, TX. I am a second year level 10 competitor. I train at Johnnny's gym with Johnny and Leslie Burke as my optional coaches. Last year, I won the AA in X meet and placed 2nd at X meet. I was 3rd at the State meet and 9th at Regionals. I competed in the National Invitational Tournament, placing 8th in the AA. Here is a link to my youtube channel...(give link...)

I am very interested in XX school and its opportunities for me on the gymnastics team. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you-

Susie Smith

(email: [email protected])

Also, tell your coaches what schools you are interested in and have them contact the coaches on your behalf.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back