cracking backs / toes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do coaches normally crack backs / toes etc.? My dd was saying that a coach was doing this to her today and I was just wondering if it is a normal practice. I trust dd's coaches but I've never heard her say this before. Why would they do this? Is it safe? Still trying to learn about this crazy sport!

Stretch them out---yes. Not sure what your dd means exactly by "cracking her back", but unless they are a licensed PT at least, I would say its a big NO.

My daughters physio does this for her.
She has been shown certain stretches to help crack her own back.
There is no way I would want a coach to put pressure on my kids back - if it wont crack then what do they do? Press harder?

leave it to pt/physio!

This is personal experience NOT advice. In my gym days proper stretching of our upper backs = being cracked from the bra strap line up to a couple inches above. It was a routine part of warming up. We'd always demand to be stretched until reaching cracking point (crackling point really since it's a few vertebra from lowest to highest that crack in one stretch over a couple of seconds). It's really enjoyable.

I've done it to myself a couople times daily ever since or I feel uncomfortable.

I'd be horrified if my DD's lower back or neck was ever cracked by a coach - but I'm more than happy for any coach to crack her in the style I experienced. Frankly I'd be shocked if a gymnast could properly stretch through the shoulders without cracking. It's almost a litmus test to see if they're using shoulders or lower back. I'll worry when DD is older if she doesn't crack!!

Yikes! No, you should not crack backs, it can weaken the joints and invite back problems later on.

Not sure exactly what dd was talking about...she's 7. I wasn't there to see. I don't think the coach cracked her back but she said he was stepping on the older girls' backs. ???? Not sure about that. She is L3 and was combined with some L5 girls. She did say he was pulling / cracking her toes. Again, big ??? from me. It didn't sound right but that's why I asked. I've haven't watched lately but I see this coach every Sat. when dd takes a cheer tumble class. I've never seen him do anything like that so maybe she's confused.

She did say he was pulling / cracking her toes. Again, big ??? from me. It didn't sound right but that's why I asked.

I would go with your gut on this one. That sounds very strange...unless the coach thought she jammed it??? But even then--not a good idea...once the coach thought my dd1 jammed her finger on vault so he was pulling it in all different directions to try to pop it back in...turns out her finger was fractured! Not too smart on his part.

Ok, dd is now working with the coach I mentioned in the op. She had her first summer practice on Tuesday and she reported that he steps on the girls' backs. Maybe he's not actually cracking them but is this ok? HELP!

Do coaches normally crack backs / toes etc.? My dd was saying that a coach was doing this to her today and I was just wondering if it is a normal practice. I trust dd's coaches but I've never heard her say this before. Why would they do this? Is it safe? Still trying to learn about this crazy sport!

red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag

Ok, dd is now working with the coach I mentioned in the op. She had her first summer practice on Tuesday and she reported that he steps on the girls' backs. Maybe he's not actually cracking them but is this ok? HELP!

red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag red flag alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert alert

At the gym we left in April, the older girls would crack each other's backs as part of the warm up every day. Right after bridges, maybe? But I know they would lie on their stomachs and another girl would sit on their back pressing down.

i'm screaming at the top of my lungs...and middle...and the bowels of...

At DD's gym the girls do 'stretch' each other's backs/shoulders. The coaches also help those who have a tough time pointing their toes by adding pressure and what looks like 'forming' the toes into the correct 'pointe'. DD has never said that it hurts. Could that be what the OP's DD is experiencing. However, older DD's 'wacky' coaches did 'crack' backs. They did FAR too much with that! Most girls that were with them long suffered fractures in their backs!

i have a message from Pars:

"Hello Everyone, my name is Pars. My last name is Interarticulars. They call me Pars for short. I am a part of the vertebra located between the inferior and superior articular processes [my Mother] of the facet joint [my Father] in the tranverse plane. Please don't have others step on me, especially if I'm small and the stepee is large, because there is a chance that you not only will fracture my name, but could "step on that crack" and break my Mother's back also. This will cause my Father to become very angry as he will then have to support the compromised area ALL BY HIMSELF. Like most Father's, my Dad is very strong. But overtme he will become fatigued from the extra work and then the repeated attempts of someone stepping on his already injured family. At some point, and without warning, my Father will break to. We will then have to pay a visit to our frenemy the Surgeon."

Sincerely,

Pars Interarticularis & Family:)

So if you don't get Dunno's msg let me say this...DD's friend is scheduled for PT and possibly surgery resulting from HS coach doing just the above metioned. Stepping on her back....coach was fired!!

I would set up a meeting asap with HC/Owner to clarify this situation before anyone is hurt!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back