crooked bhs step out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My DD has been trying to learn a bhs step out on for a long time. She hasn't progressed to a beam yet though. She is practicing on a line and will move to a beam when she can do it. She jumps back and always has her hands to the side of the line. She jumps back and goes to the side of the hand that she puts in front. She knows that she is going off to the side but can't seem to correct it. Help please she is very frustrated. What does she need to fix this?

Does she look for the line at all? I've seen kids try to 'preview' the line when they work with one. It usually involves them looking before their feet leave the floor, but any turn of the head can affect the shoulders and therefore hand placement. Throw it blind!

She may have incorrect hand placement, but something the coaches will have to address. Best hand placement for alignment is the opposite hand in front as the leading leg (I am righty and I do a beam BHS ending in right lunge...I put my left hand in front of my right).

It's difficult to say without a video. The pointers given above and in the video are a good start but to tell exactly what may be going wrong, it would be easier if we could see it. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back