Parents Crying if I Don't Stay at Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First big hug for mom. It is hard to watch your baby cry. Is it possible that just being off from school has thrown her off a bit ? Also what is she doing all day now. Is she getting a ton of super fun mom time now during the day. It might just be hard to be away from you after hanging out all day. If you can stay, I say just stay. Staying will cause both of you less stress until you can figure out what is oing on. Just remember you are doing the best you can and you are not going to ruin your child by doing what you think is right.

Have you tried being very explicit on what you will do? For example, when my dd was about 4 or so, on developmental team, for a while I would have to drop her off, and then bring her brother to swimming lessons, and come back at the end. So I'd say, "Ok, we are going to come in and watch you for your stretches, then I'm going to take your brother to swimming, and I will be back to watch you for the last 10 minutes." Could you try something like that? Say, mommy is going to stay and watch you warm up, and do your first event, but then I have to run to the store and pick something up. I will be back for the last 15 minutes to watch you. I'd even be tempted to bribe a bit, like, I have to do some grocery shopping, but if I come back and you have worked hard without tears, maybe there will be a little special treat in the bag! I know some parents don't like to bribe, but from time to time I will use it a little (meaning, maybe we can split a milkshake after practice if you work hard, or maybe we can get in-n-out burger after practice if you've been a great listener, etc... not something big or expensive). I haven't really ever dealt with the tears though, as my dd pretty much would trade in her ole mom for any coach, friend, grammie, or auntie, lol.

Thanks again everyone. I so appreciate everyone taking the time to read about my situation and offer advice, especially from other parents that understand what its like to have a child doing team gymnastics. For the time, I have decided just to stay. As I said, that is what my instinct was telling me to do initially but I doubted myself for some reason so thank you for giving me the validation (not that I need validation to do what I feel is right, but you know:eek:). I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then reevaluate and maybe by then she won't mind if I leave for a bit. I certainly have things I can do while I am there and it also forces me to take time in my day to just sit down! I never do that during the day otherwise. Thanks again for the support and advice. This forum is great, I hope I can offer my advice and support to others here.

My 6 year old always wants me around too.. and she even gets pissy at me for talking with other gym moms too much. She claims I'm not "watching" I had to explain to her how even though I love watching her, that I am there 6.5 hours a week and have made friends with other Moms and we talk. It gets frustrating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back