Dance and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

How large a role does taking ballet class or any dance class play in an Elite gymnasts schedule? It is always suggested that gymnasts take dance. But I wonder how many successful gymnast actually take dance. I know Nastia Luikin had two classes a week of dance in her gym. Our gym does not have dance whatsoever. To go far, must a gymnast have some kind of dance background?

My DS had a ballet session once a week at his gym (they didnt call it ballet they called it choreography so they didnt think it was for girls... but it was a ballet teacher and it was ballet!)
Helped tons

Ballet (and dance in general) gives you the artistic edge over someone who hasn't taken dance. Look at Nastia Liukin. She had ballet training, which helped her with extensions, lines and a "game face", versus Rebecca Bross, who has tons of power, but her face is stone and her lines (to me) end abruptly.

If you can, find a studio nearby that offers a ballet class, focusing on barre exercises. It will help you with extensions, moving beyond the point of your toes and fingertips, and also teach how to put emotion into your routines, particularly floor, where I think it matters the most.

Ballet (and dance in general) gives you the artistic edge over someone who hasn't taken dance. Look at Nastia Liukin. She had ballet training, which helped her with extensions, lines and a "game face", versus Rebecca Bross, who has tons of power, but her face is stone and her lines (to me) end abruptly.

Rebecca does participate in Dance & Ballet training at Woga, like all the girls do. Below is the album that shows her group at work on the barre, they also do floor work as well.

http://www.woga.net/spanPictureGall...letatBarreIndividuals/tabid/6892/Default.aspx

(Level 10 & Elite selection)

Rebecca and Nastia have a lot of physical differences that will show in their movements. Also as individuals, they will express and perform uniquely. To compare the 2 is like comparing a Picasso to a Renoir. Every gymnast has a unique aesthetic.

Last edited:
Rebecca does participate in Dance & Ballet training at Woga, like all the girls do. Below is the album that shows her group at work on the barre, they also do floor work as well.

WOGA Ballet at Barre Individuals

Rebecca and Nastia have a lot of physical differences that will show in their movements. Also as individuals, they will express and perform uniquely. To compare the 2 is like comparing a Picasso to a Renoir. Every gymnast has a unique aesthetic.

My mistake. I knew the girls took class at WOGA, but for some reason I thought Nastia did more than that, but I could be wrong. I guess I associated her artistry with a Ballet background. And I feel bad, because I have a hard time watching a powerful gymnast like Rebecca show absolutely no emotion, and personally, I think she performs in a bubble.

My mistake. I knew the girls took class at WOGA, but for some reason I thought Nastia did more than that, but I could be wrong. I guess I associated her artistry with a Ballet background. And I feel bad, because I have a hard time watching a powerful gymnast like Rebecca show absolutely no emotion, and personally, I think she performs in a bubble.

Nastia has the advantage of beautiful lines and genetics that just lend themselves to the classic image of a ballerina. She worked it. Grace, smoothness, the feeling of zero effort behind her movements, and good Lord could that girl strike a pose and put her best face on. Smart to capitalize on the obvious things a spectator, and especially a judge, can see. The thing that's forgotten in that though is that Nastia isn't a product the Wogabot creators made. Nastia was doing her, and her coaches/choreographers helped her enhance and perfect what she already brought to the table. I think the public and fans almost expect Woga to churn out Nastia's as if there's a formula when that's not how things work.

There is a method to showing off a gymnasts strengths though. Look at the differences in choreography and bar routines between both girls from the same gym. People talk all day about what Rebecca is not, and how could they not after Nastia-mania '08? Look at what she is. That girl is fearless, flight and courage personified. Height and amplitude don't make her shrink away. Her performance ability isn't to make something look easy. It's aggression that suggests risk and danger.

Having watched both in person, I can say the reaction of the crowd is distinctly different. To watch Nastia perform is a hush, almost serene as people take in every extension, flick of the wrist, and shape she creates. For her to get through it as if it's simplicity itself is expected. With Rebecca, it's more an edge of the seat experience. People react everytime she catches the bar, or lands a beam skill. Like they're going through it with her, willing her along. In either case nobody can look away, which is the goal after all!

WOGA Ballet at Barre Individuals

i was going to say a swan on the water and a bull in a china shop. and then the rest of what you said...and then that they both kick butt. without dance...you don't have the "kick" part. lol.:)

i was going to say a swan on the water and a bull in a china shop. and then the rest of what you said...and then that they both kick butt. without dance...you don't have the "kick" part. lol.:)

Ok well, time for some truth. Nastia learned her kicks at the barre, while Rebecca hoofs it to the dojo for GYMKATA! for hers.

Now they can both kick butt, legit :p

Nastia has the advantage of beautiful lines and genetics that just lend themselves to the classic image of a ballerina. ,

She didn't 'work' it. Nastia had beautiful legs and balletic choreo, however her actual 'dancing' left much to be desired. Her pose - pose - pose only looks different from general WOGABOTS because of her lines. It's like she took her lines, took her choreo and just did it, she never truly GAVE it everything.

Look at Pavlova in 2008, compared to Liukin in 2008. Liukin had the harder dance routine, but Pavlova's was a 100X better, because she lived, and sold her routine. Pav's dancing was VERY simple. SHE worked it, Nastia DID it.

your sounding like a food critic who doesn't like pizza but only goes to pizzerias to eat and critique...:cool:

As soon as I saw that it became pointless to respond.

All I have to say is: Haters gonna hate.

Too bad I like WOGA :rolleyes: They are BORING on floor, and they all look similar. Sorry, it's the truth, face it.

I love WOGA, for the most part, they teach excellent leaps, and their bars are great. Their choreo is very similar, thus, gets boring fast.

Your post, translated: I can't think of an ACTUAL reply, so I'll give a bad reason to not reply.

Too bad I like WOGA :rolleyes: They are BORING on floor, and they all look similar. Sorry, it's the truth, face it.

I love WOGA, for the most part, they teach excellent leaps, and their bars are great. Their choreo is very similar, thus, gets boring fast.

Your post, translated: I can't think of an ACTUAL reply, so I'll give a bad reason to not reply.

My post meant exactly what it said, if you have to translate it further then you're just internet gymnastics troll #8756876038576.

Pro tip: When you're the one trying to make a case on the internet, the burden is not on someone else to make it for you. You slung a bunch of subjective thoughts together aggressively and threw in some caps because you wanted to have a legit conversation? I didn't discover the internet yesterday. Be glad you got attention, because discussing subjective things like dance and overall beauty of a routine isn't fun when you rage out the gate and feel threatened by other peoples opinions.

My post meant exactly what it said, if you have to translate it further then you're just internet gymnastics troll #8756876038576.

Pro tip: When you're the one trying to make a case on the internet, the burden is not on someone else to make it for you. You slung a bunch of subjective thoughts together aggressively and threw in some caps because you wanted to have a legit conversation? I didn't discover the internet yesterday. Be glad you got attention, because discussing subjective things like dance and overall beauty of a routine isn't fun when you rage out the gate and feel threatened by other peoples opinions.

I already made my case. Actually, it was you who never made a case, so I really don't understand your (lack of) common sense.

Oh no you didn't!!

Please do not use that tone here, take that as a warning. We do not use insults on the CB. Sorry just not that kind of forum. Based on the fact that we jhave many very young members, it is up to the adults to show decorum. You can dissagree, and you can say why. But you CANNOT write like that .^^^^^

I already made my case.

Had that been your motivation you would have linked the routines you were speaking of and been specific about what you liked and didn't like. I didn't just say Rebecca Bross does dance and hope people took my word for it, I linked the album that shows her in the act. Personal dissatisfaction combined with buzzwords in caps backs up exactly nothing except that you're bitter about how the Olympics turned out. Falls under the category of: Not My Problem, and doesn't make me care enough to do your googling for you.

Actually, it was you who never made a case, so I really don't understand your (lack of) common sense.

Forget common sense, how about the very ability to see what's on a computer monitor. You quoted me in an ages old thread where I was talking about the physical and performance differences between Rebecca Bross and Nastia Liukin. I fail to see how that flows into a Nastia rip session, which clearly disappoints you. Had you wanted it to be anything else, you would have approached it very differently. I'm going to have to disappoint you in that regard, I don't make points by tearing into athletes.

She didn't 'work' it. Nastia had beautiful legs and balletic choreo, however her actual 'dancing' left much to be desired. Her pose - pose - pose only looks different from general WOGABOTS because of her lines. It's like she took her lines, took her choreo and just did it, she never truly GAVE it everything.

Look at Pavlova in 2008, compared to Liukin in 2008. Liukin had the harder dance routine, but Pavlova's was a 100X better, because she lived, and sold her routine. Pav's dancing was VERY simple. SHE worked it, Nastia DID it.

Normally I would just ignore this crud but frankly, you just bug me so I gotta say...

Either you're Russian or just obsessed with all things Russian. It's almost comical really as in the last week I've seen you trash a bunch of American gymnasts, American CHAMPIONS mind you, and spend all your time with your nose firmly implanted in the bums of the Russian team.

With their success this year though I guess it's a good thing you're hopping on the bandwagon early!

Oh and please remind me, since Pavlova was so superior to Nastia in 2008, how many events did she beat her on?

5th AA for Anna, 1st for Nastia... hmmm not there

Oh yes, must have been on beam... 2nd for Nastia, 4th for Anna... Newp

Hmmm, maybe it was her ever superior floor exercise, that's right... No wait... Nastia 3rd... Anna, dead last.

You make an amazing argument... No wait you're an amazing argument starter!! Gotta love people like you who live to annoy :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back