Dancers floor scores higher than gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

anb5

My daughter is level 9 usag gymnast. During school she is on the h. s. team.For some reason she is getting a much lower score than 4 other teammates ,all dancers, at every meet.We are in ma. with N.F.H.S. rules. Could the dance elements in their routines be that much of a factor ? She has very little dance in her routine. The routines of the dancers look nothing like any gymnast floor routine. Her coach says there is nothing wrong with her floor. The scores speak for themself, dancer 9.3,gymnast 8.2 . She is not the only gymnast on the team with low scores for floor. I'm confused any help would be appreciated. Thanks

All I can add to this is that last year at one of my DD's HS meets, a competing gymnast (L8 USAG) only got a 7.something on her floor routine. It routinely scores 9's at USAG meets. Well, after much discussion, it turns out that she was missing some HS required elements such as some turns, and some other "superior difficulty" skills... her tumbling was all just fine, it was those special HS requirements. Hopefully, the coach at her HS has been doing this for a while and knows exactly what to do to improve her floor scores.

Same thing happened to me last year!:D The thing about the highschool routines is, the more skills packed into them, the better they are scored. For example, I did my level 8 USAG floor routine fairly well at a hs meet, and I scored a 7. Another girl did a easy routine, that was full of "medium" difficulty skills. Hitchkicks, BWOs, jumps, etc. She got an 8!:eek:

She may just need to add simple skills. That was my problem. Also the hs coach probably has the new NFHS rule booklet thing, which says all of the connection bonuses for superior-superior connections, and those can really boost a score. The annoying part of this is that the good USAG routine probably has to be significantly different for the hs team for it to score well.

Actually, if you really wanted (Donno if you want to) you can get the NFHS rule booklet online.

(P.S. I was reading it, and I found it funny that you ARE allowed to wear nailpolish, but no earrings! Not even little studs! Haha, just a little fun fact...:rolleyes:)

Hopefully, the coach at her HS has been doing this for a while and knows exactly what to do to improve her floor scores.

Speaking only for myself, but oh man, my HS coach is clueless. She was a level 7 gymnast as a freshman, and that's the extent of her training. Her motivation is to yell "DO SOMETHING!!" when we aren't doing anything. Sadly, a lot of HS coaches don't know what's going on, they are just there because the school needed to fill the position. (I have no idea if this is the case, but it's simply my experience with hs coaches)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back