Parents Daughter doesn't want to quit...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Claudidoll -

Regarding the difficulty you perceive with your other kiddos at this gym. Why in the world would you even consider leaving them at a club that has treated your family the way they have? This would be a no-brainer to me - pull them all and never look back. Never give this gym another penny of your hard-earned money. They have shown absolutely zero loyalty to you (kicked your dd to rec after a little difficulty on team); why should you have any loyalty to them? Take your kids and your money and run to another gym - now.

Three others actually [emoji12] but one is a fencer who hates all things gym.

And you are right, the baby girl (4) has shown some aptitude for gym but I'm pretty sure given the situation with her sister team would not be likely at current gym.
Okay... I know this is off topic, but I have 3 girls in gym and only one of them is on team. My youngest gymmie is 4. I have a 4th daughter who is an infant. It is their brother who fences. Weird...

Claudidoll -

Regarding the difficulty you perceive with your other kiddos at this gym. Why in the world would you even consider leaving them at a club that has treated your family the way they have? This would be a no-brainer to me - pull them all and never look back. Never give this gym another penny of your hard-earned money. They have shown absolutely zero loyalty to you (kicked your dd to rec after a little difficulty on team); why should you have any loyalty to them? Take your kids and your money and run to another gym - now.

Our rec program is very separate from the competitive program.

My youngest daughter (4) loves the rec director she has been in a class with this coach since before she could walk, and if I'm honest I am a huge fan of hers, she loves gymnastics and loves the kids and it shows in how she runs her program. My other child in rec ( son) would be easier to move.

Then there's the fact that rec programs here for ages 6-12 are near impossible to get into and we pay for 12 weeks at a time.

Okay... I know this is off topic, but I have 3 girls in gym and only one of them is on team. My youngest gymmie is 4. I have a 4th daughter who is an infant. It is their brother who fences. Weird...

We have 2 boys and two girls

The oldest boy fences, the oldest girl is the one this thread is about

The younger two do rec

Claudidoll -

Thank you for saying what I tried to say kindly in a much more effective way. Get in that car and drive away, forget running...

Took her for an assessment at the other gym. She was hesitant at first but went in with the head coach and did what she asked her and even got a little chatty. Most importantly she had fun and she was happy. Next step might be to try an hour or so with a training group to see if she can handle that.

Nice! Sometimes the hardest part of change is that first step, but then our kiddos surprise us. Sounds like from your update you may be headed down a good path. Remember, look for places for your other gymmies too; that previous place does not deserve another nickel of your hard-earned money.

Continued Good Luck.

Yep, even the little one because her program will feed into the one your other daughter was kicked out of. It may or may not turn out the same way for your younger daughter, but let's say it doesn't, 4 years from now, younger DD on team at current gym, older DD, now 12, puberty (UGH!), now obsesses (or at least wonders) why she wasn't good enough, but little sister is, & that's a whole new can of worms. Or it does happen to younger gymmie and you end up with TWO unnecessarily emotionally scarred girls. Don't allow that to even be an option! Get out of their NOW!

Claudidoll -

Outstanding!!

How was the anxiety at the new gym?

She was very nervous, and it took some major coaxing but she did it.

It took one of her new coaches about 20 min to get her in, and she came out to talk to me once after an hour of conditioning ( after a month or more out of gym she's going to be sore tomorrow ) but the head coach and her new coach got her back in pretty easily.

I thought for sure she'd ask to go home at break time but she went back into the gym with very little persuading.

Everyone was kind and understanding and willing to work with her. It was awesome

I am so so happy for her. What a great happy ending! Good for you for helping her to get to a place both literally and figuratively that she feels happy and confident again.

I seriously choked up reading your posts, and I don't know you at all!!! I am just so happy for your child. I do not say this to upset you, and am sorry if it does....but she truly was in a rather abusive environment thanks to the demeaning, negative coaching, and this will become clearer to you as time goes on. The fog will lift even higher, and wow you will see so clearly. Best of luck to her. Even if she stops, at least it will be on her OWN terms now.:)

I seriously choked up reading your posts, and I don't know you at all!!! I am just so happy for your child. I do not say this to upset you, and am sorry if it does....but she truly was in a rather abusive environment thanks to the demeaning, negative coaching, and this will become clearer to you as time goes on. The fog will lift even higher, and wow you will see so clearly. Best of luck to her. Even if she stops, at least it will be on her OWN terms now.:)

This post hit the nail on the head! I wondered all along if her anxiety being so intense at her old gym was due to the gym and her coaches, and it looks like with some caring and patient coaches she is going to make huge improvements towards being comfortable in the gym again.

Oh and I forgot to add the gym was full of laughter! And smiling children. Imagine that gymnastics can be fun
This is so awesome. We have lots of families that come to DDs gym from another gym close by solely because the other gym has a head coach that makes gym not-fun, they come to DDs gym and comment on how much more of a fun environment it is, and our gym produces many more L10s and national team members than the other...I think the happy environment makes a world of a difference!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back