Parents Daughter pushed off beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BTom12

Proud Parent
My 5 year old DD came home from Level 2 practice last night crying that another girl pushed her off of the beam and took her spot. She said one of the coaches made the girl apologize.

Shouldn't the coach have informed me of this?

Does the teacher at school inform you every time your child gets pushed by someone? Unfortunately it happens when you get a group of kids together. I am not saying it is OK to push, but 5 year olds do it and they have to be taught not to. It sounds like the coach handled it, so I wouldn't worry about it. Now if it continues, then by all means say something.

I expect the coaches to handle any conflicts that happen with their team. I also expect to be notified if my daughter gets hurt. If your DD didn't get hurt, then there may be nothing to worry about. You could always casually mention the incident your DD told you about the next you the coach are in the lobby together.

My daughter has been pushed, bitten (seriously), had a spring board dropped on her foot (on purpose), punched in the stomach ("reminding her to be tight"), etc. I only knew any of this because my dd told me. Now some of this was done while coaches were not looking, as this little heathen was really good at knowing when to strike. Coach never said a word though as she handled it. Thank goodness the little brat is gone now!

I have all boys, and this stuff happens all the time. Coach is often busy spotting another kid and doesn't see it. Coach deals with it when he sees it. A couple of times this summer, that behavior did lead to one of my kids getting hurt (minor stuff, but could have been worse), and I was notified. Otherwise, I don't expect the coach to tell me.

Does the teacher at school inform you every time your child gets pushed by someone? Unfortunately it happens when you get a group of kids together. I am not saying it is OK to push, but 5 year olds do it and they have to be taught not to. It sounds like the coach handled it, so I wouldn't worry about it. Now if it continues, then by all means say something.

I agree but would add that if my kid were the one who did the pushing, I would want to be notified.

I agree but would add that if my kid were the one who did the pushing, I would want to be notified.

Totally agree! I would expect and want to notified if my kid was the one pushing.......if my kid does wrong, they need to know that not only are they in the wrong at the gym, but they will have consequences at home as well. As for being notified if my kid was the one pushed, unless my kid was hurt I don't think so. The coach handled it and I'm good with that. Now if it was a habitual problem, then I would want to know so I could help my child with how to deal with the situation (how to deal with bullies)

if injured, YES. otherwise no unless these 2 get in to it every class. coaches manage these nuisance things every day somewhere in America. :)

I don't think parents should underestimate how hard it is at the end of a session making sure every child is reunited with the correct parent and at the same time keeping an eye on the incoming class and at teh same time dealing with parents' questions about fees etc,

Just read your other post- 5 year olds with 4 hour practices….yep, doesn't surprise me that you are dealing with a child pushing another child off beam… 4 hour practices at that age are a recipe for horseplay, irritability, lack of concentration, you name it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back