Parents DD's First "Meet"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k2bdeutmeyer

Coach
Proud Parent
It's just a little in-house "meet" for the kids to kind of get a feel for what competition is all about. DD is so excited! Her routines are VERY sloppy, BUT she remembers them without any help finally!!! I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen, LOL! Her coach expects her (and her teammates) to take this pretty seriously (more so than the other girls that are going to be there) since they are on the fast track to team.

So, any ideas on getting a 4yr old to focus on herself and her routine vs what is going on around her. Or, is that just a developmental thing that will come with time? I know she can do her skills with much better form, and that she knows not to wiggle around in between skills, but she's just so busy thinking about everything BUT her routine and in turn is sloppy.

Both her beam and floor routine are up in my you tube channel (see my signature) if it would help to actually *see* what I mean.

Thanks!! We're very excited for this afternoon :)

She's cute as a button! My advice is, don't push her. At four, I think she has GREAT focus!! And a four year old is going to decide gym isn't fun anymore if you push too hard. I'm sure the coach understands that. My Maliya didn't start gym until she was 6, and I thought the same thing at the time(even though I bit my tongue and never said anything to her)...she's sloppy, she doesn't focus, she's not serious...she will NEVER learn her routines or look polished...and then, time happened, she matured a bit, and wow the difference it has made! And better yet, she still LOVES this sport and pushes HERSELF...I don't need to.

Keep these precious videos of her first meet and such, refer back to them once she is competing level 4...you will absolutely be astonished that she has come that far!! I have videos on my youtube of my Maliya's first little in house meet after she'd been in gym only a couple of months. Fast forward to now, and wow! Can't believe it is the same kid!!

Age has a LOT to do with it! Even the most poised four year old is still that-a four year old. And its a cute age!!! :D

Thanks!

I have bitten my tongue quite a bit, because DD is a perfectionist. I don't want her to ever think it's "not good enough". I want her to walk away proud and excited today! And of course, like you said, to have fun!

At that age, it is about the fun. I am sure she will walk away with a ribbon atleast. She will feel very proud of herself. It should be all about the fun. I have found that gymnastis put enough pressure on themselves without the parents doing it. :) I know my girls do.

This is supposed to be FUN!! She is 4 years old, so yes she will lose focus and she will forget parts of the routine and some skills will look sloppy. Who cares????? The bottom line should be, did she have a good time??? If the answer is yes, then don't sweat the other stuff.

Honestly, at this age, you can't really expect their routines to be all that polished. The 4-5 year olds you see on youtube with perfect routines? Well, they are more than likely training a LOT more hours than your dd. Until they are ready for team, they really don't train enough hours to have competition ready polished routines. Your dd is a cutie though and it looks like she has a lot of natural talent! The polish will come in time, don't worry!

Thanks so much!! I'm her mommy, so of course I think she's wonderful, but it's always nice to hear it from an outside source too :)

She is a cutie pie. I think she is coming right along. All that matters at any level in this sport is that they are having fun. And it sure looks like she was having a blast.

Thanks!!

She did great, even though she got distracted and forgot her beam routine (and a bit of her floor). She was so excited to get a medal and was all smiles and ready to do it again! I'm working on a video of her day. I'll share once it's done :)

Glad that she had a lot of fun! I look forward to seeing video. :) In the other video you posted, your girl was just too cute!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back