Parents Deciding if my daughter should compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Butterfly

Proud Parent
hi all! I am new here :)
My daughter just turned six, will be starting kindergarten in a few weeks (summer baby). We just recently switched from a high profile gym to a much smaller and more inclusive gym. DD is close on a bunch of level 2 skills but doesn't have them quite yet. The new gym is having her practice with the level 2's and will be deciding if she should compete this year or not.
I have never been to a gymnastics meet and have very little knowledge. My question is, should she compete this year? This gym is small and it seems like they would let her. But, I have no idea what is realistic as far as getting these skills in time.
I'm also worried that kindergarten will be an adjustment for her. So maybe just continue working out with the level 2s this year and figure out competing next year? But I'm worried I will loose her excitement.
Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

A few questions based on what I've seen in my gym where we have had kindergarten and first graders compete level 2.

Would she be competing in the fall or spring? Our gym competes January through April so the girls have adjusted to the school schedule already.

What skills is she struggling with? It is not unusual to see girls miss the stride circle on bars or beam dismount at the competition- especially the littler girls.

Is she really competitive and would she have fun with the special Leo and sparkles in her hair? For some girls this is enough, and for some girls the struggles in competition make them go back and work even harder in practice.

Only you and your family can decide what is right for your daughter because every child is different. My 6 year old isn't anywhere close to being ready to compete whereas my 8 year old competed level 1 at age 6 (first grade, late summer baby) and level 2 at age 7. She is inconsistent on a couple key skills so as of right now she is competing another year at 2 but will train with the 3s one day a week because we have a long commute and my 10 year old is a level 3.

Would she compete Level 2? If so, go for it! They are adorable at this age, and an introduction to competing at that age should be fun and low pressure!! The photos alone are worth it :D They are only 6 once.

If they would be pushing to Level 3, I would probably hold off as that seems like too big a jump from where it sounds like she is.

What does she think? My daughter turned 5 at the end of March and will be competing level 2 this fall. She has watched her older friend at a few meets, and is SO excited to be a part of the team and to compete. She thought it was so exciting to be measured for her warm-ups and competition leo, too. She is very competitive and loves to show off.

She will also be starting kindergarten this fall, and I am also worried about her adjusting to school, but I am hopeful it will all work out!

Will your daughter train with the 2s whether she competes or not? I think if your daughter will be training with the 2s, she might as well compete, too, so she doesn't feel left out!

Level 2 is about learning things like marching in, paying attention to the judges, presenting, rembering to start when the music does, staying still and keeping quiet when it's not your turn. Remembering to do the level 2 stuff.

It should be low stress and fun. You get to wear your "party" Leo with your "party"hair.

They barely know it's a competition, it's just a gym party. Usually every kid gets at least a participation medal.

It's really not all that big of a thing and I would be leary of a gym that makes it so.

Level 2 is about learning things like marching in, paying attention to the judges, presenting, rembering to start when the music does, staying still and keeping quiet when it's not your turn. Remembering to do the level 2 stuff.

It should be low stress and fun. You get to wear your "party" Leo with your "party"hair.

They barely know it's a competition, it's just a gym party. Usually every kid gets at least a participation medal.

It's really not all that big of a thing and I would be leary of a gym that makes it so.

If your gym feels as though your daughter is in a good spot to successfully compete I would consider doing so. My daughter did Level 2 last year in a very competitive program and at this point in time a lot of girls were not quite ready. Parents were told the first meet or two might be rough for some girls. Fast forward to November the girls were State Champs in large gym division. You'd be surprised how quickly development can happen. In fact, as of this time last year the girls did not even receive their routines!

So much to think about!

They have a practice meet in October, then done in April I think. She needs a hand on her bottom to finish the chin up pullover, just started back hip circle, and just this week did a kick over from a bridge by herself.

She is not competitive--I don't think she knows what that is!! She does concentrate when her coaches give her direction and really focuses when working on stuff. She tells me she will work on anything until she gets it and will be one of the teenagers at the gym one day that do all the twisty flips The idea of glitter in her hair/matching leos is extremely exciting!

When we switched to this gym, she said she did want to do meets like all the big girls. Only this week she told me she was scared to 'go on stage' and show off in front of people she doesn't know. Just a while ago (we hadn't talked about this stuff all weekend) she said she knows what she will do if she is scared to show off her skills--she will just pretend it's just her coaches and friends from her class there. (My smart little girl!)

I am relieved to hear it's not that big of a deal! The gym we were at originally has an Olympian going to rio and clearly are very serious. They would barely talk to me about getting her in the pre-team track so this new gym feels so much more relaxed and welcoming. It just is so different that I was afraid of they do let her compete that it would not be fun!

Thanks everyone!

I do think it depends on the area you live in though. My dd competed level 2 2 years ago and it was not really like this. It is pretty competitive in our area. I mean they had fun and all, but they were definitely more polished than what Deleted member 18037 described and they definitely knew they were competing.

I would just ask the coaches what they recommend and if they think she'll be ready. As long as they recommend it, I'd say give it a try. It IS a lot of fun and very cute to watch. :)

Do you just ask the coaches after practice at pickup? I had just talked to the office person before. She said the coaches would have to decide here in the next couple of weeks as they are ordering the team leotards. I wonder if I should just wait? Or ask?

My Dd competed level 2. At that age, she didn't mind not winning but she definitely liked winning better and was happy to get medals. She definitely noticed that some girls got medals in all 4 events and AA almost all the time and some never got any, other than the participation medal that everyone got. She usually got quite a few medals at every meet, so it didn't bother her. There were definitely some girls who never medaled all year, and they were upset about it, largely because they clearly didn't understand why they weren't medalling and why other girls were. It can be hard for some girls at that age to see that others are consistently "better" than them, whereas others just don't care.

Level 2 has the mill circle on bars too. If your Dd needs help for the pullover and is just learning the BHC, she probably doesn't have her mill circle yet. She can still compete, but she won't score well until she has all those things.

Sue bee--that's one of the things I'm worried about. She went from an obstacle course type class with little to no instruction to practicing with the level 2s. Although the gym is smaller and more welcoming, I'm not sure I want to spend a bunch of money, DD potentially start to realize more about the medals ect, and be disappointed. But, I'm also worried that in January she would be disappointed she isn't included. There are a few girls that their families are choosing not to compete so she wouldn't be the only one if we don't do it. It's just so hard to predict the future! ;)
I know she can learn a lot in 3 months, but again, I wish I had a crystal ball!

DD competed level 2 (it was then called level 3) about a million years ago. She absolutely loved it and it was very low-key, though I am sure in some areas of the country it is taken very seriously. I agree with what others have said... If she wants to do it, the coaches encourage it, and you don't mind the expense, do it. But deciding not to do it will have zero impact on her long-term success in the sport. Maybe there's a middle ground? If the comp leo isn't too pricey (they often go with a simple tank at this level) maybe she could do just one or two meets that are later in the season and not too far from home, just to give her a taste for it. Just remember, she'll be taking her cues from you about what is important (medals versus fun). At this level it should be all about fun and glitter in her hair and ice cream afterwards.

Others have given good advise. I would add that you should find out the costs before you make a decision. My DD did level 2 a few years ago. I thought it would be a fun experience (and it was). $200 Leo, plus warm ups, meet fees $50+ per meet x5 meets, and coaches fees. There are cheaper things to do just for fun [emoji51]

She is now preparing for her first year as an optional gymnast. Fees have increased substantially. And she is a very happy gymnast.

All of that to say that not all gyms consider level 2 a level to do just for fun. In our state it is taken pretty seriously.

At level 2 it's all about fun!!!!!
This is when they see if they like showing off, if they can remember the routines, and they learn what competition is all about......there shouldn't be any pressure at this point....
She will get medals......the placing, or score should in no way enter the equation here.....
Have FUN with it! It's so cute to get them ready and sparkly!

Oh, BTW when mine competed L2, I told the gym before that I was willing to travel 2 hrs max by car.....period.
(L2, remember?)

At level 2 it's all about fun!!!!!
This is when they see if they like showing off, if they can remember the routines, and they learn what competition is all about......there shouldn't be any pressure at this point....
She will get medals......the placing, or score should in no way enter the equation here.....
Have FUN with it! It's so cute to get them ready and sparkly!

Oh, BTW when mine competed L2, I told the gym before that I was willing to travel 2 hrs max by car.....period.
(L2, remember?)
Our girl's and parents (families) most fun meets last season were the ones 4 and 6 hours away and the scheduled "fun" meet that was 1300 miles away. This year our "fun" meet is about 2300 miles away. Please don't let Children and Family Services know because it sounds like anyone having fun more than 2 hours from home is an abused child or a bad parent.

Our girl's and parents (families) most fun meets last season were the ones 4 and 6 hours away and the scheduled "fun" meet that was 1300 miles away. This year our "fun" meet is about 2300 miles away. Please don't let Children and Family Services know because it sounds like anyone having fun more than 2 hours from home is an abused child or a bad parent.
It's about the time and expense. Lots of fun is always had at our away meets, ca ching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back