Parents Decision Made...Switching Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
Had a try out at a new gym today....learned some new things....loved the coaches and she has decided to make the switch...Now to figure out how to leave the old gym with all her friends!! Advice welcome.....do it right away or in a couple of weeks?

From your previous posts we know this is not a decision you have come to lightly. I applaud you for looking out for your DD's mental & physical well being. I believe those were the main motivators for this switch, correct? If you feel Sophia will have a more positive experience at the new gym I would not return to the old gym even 1 day, JMHO. Feelings are surely going to run hot over this switch for many of her coaches & teammates & parents. You don't want Sophia to hear any negativity about the switch...she's too young to have this be held against her. Talk to the HC & owners about the switch without Sophia present & try to leave on as good of terms as possible. Gymnastics is a SMALL world you don't want to make enemies over this. Then I'd have some kind of a farewell party at my home or some other neutral location for her to say good-bye to her teammates. Best wishes to you & Sophia!!! May she have MANY more years of ENJOYING this sport in a HEALTHY (mentally & physically)manner :)!

Congrats on your decision. I know it was a tough one. I think the idea of having a party at home (or a trip to a local park or whatever) so that Sophia has a neutral place to say goodbye is a good one. I think your challenge will be trying to leave without making enemies (as gymjourneymom said) while still making sure it is known why you are leaving. You have some serious and valid gripes with Sophia's coach, and I think that all parties should be aware of what they are. Even though it's tempting to try and gloss over it with a "just a better fit" excuse (though that's true too) it's not going to help the next small child coming into the gym. Sophia seems to be a trooper and you were in tune with what was going on, but the next child who comes to this gym may not have those things going for her and may be badly damanged by this coach. I think that, if the decision needs to be made between "not making enemies" and being truthful, you need to go with the truth on this one.

Thanks all, she has decided not to return for even one practice!! We will invite the girls to a pool party in June when school lets out for her to say goodbye.

Well, I feel a big congrats is in order for Sophia. I think this was handled perfectly. You expressed your issues, nothing was done. You stayed and she completed the season. Then you moved on to greener pastures. There is no shame or blame in any of that. Good for Sophia to see what she wants and to go after it. And to realize even though her friends are at her old gym, staying there herself, even one more day is not for the best. I hope all the best for her, and that she thrives in her new gym. Her old gyms loss he the new ones gain. Please do keep us posted on how she does.

Well, I feel a big congrats is in order for Sophia. I think this was handled perfectly. You expressed your issues, nothing was done. You stayed and she completed the season. Then you moved on to greener pastures. There is no shame or blame in any of that. Good for Sophia to see what she wants and to go after it. And to realize even though her friends are at her old gym, staying there herself, even one more day is not for the best. I hope all the best for her, and that she thrives in her new gym. Her old gyms loss he the new ones gain. Please do keep us posted on how she does.

Thanks so much...I will....

I also say a big congratulations to both Sophia AND YOU!!! I know this was a really tough decision for you, but I honestly do think you've made the right move. I also think you've made the correct decision not to return. Things could have really gotten ugly for her and you. I've seen it happen from my own personal experience, and it's so sad for the kids. At any rate, best wishes for moving onward and upward.

It sounds like you've gotten some great advice, so I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you guys are making the move! It sounds like Sophia is really happy about it which is the most important thing. Congrats!!

After reading about your vault issues before states, I think you've made the right choice. I know its never easy to make the decision, we've had to switch gyms ourselves, but Sophia will be an asset to any gym you choose and shame on the last gym for not understanding. Those negative coaching tactics don't always work for all gymnasts. For these little ones to stay in the gym for all these hours and maintain their heath & happiness in this sport it is important to realize coaching is not only about the skills, it's about nurturing their mental well being too! She can enjoy this Summer working on her new skills and making new friends and she will be fine!

This is an exciting time for you and Sophia. How fun it will be for Sophia (and you) to be able to make new friends. Can't wait to hear all the good news. ;)

I'm sure this was a hard decision for both of you. Good going on finding another gym that will value your child!! Wish her nothing but happiness.

Had a try out at a new gym today....learned some new things....loved the coaches and she has decided to make the switch...Now to figure out how to leave the old gym with all her friends!! Advice welcome.....do it right away or in a couple of weeks?

Well our move a year ago ended up being the best thing that could have ever happened to my DD and our family. I hope you end up with a great move like we had.

As far as waiting or not - what are you waiting for?? The meet season is over so if there aren't anymore meets why hold off? I say go for the switch now and be done with it. When my DD left old gym we finished out what we had paid for as there were no refunds. My DD crocheted bun covers for all her team mates (they are easy to make) and gave them the last day. They had cake and a card for her and that was that. She now loves her new gym and coaches and loves everything about her new gym she can't even imagine being anywhere else. After a year there I have to say I wish we had made that move so much earlier. Good Luck

I think you have made a good decision! Which gym have you decided is best for Sophia? What level will she compete next year? I can't wait to see her...she is very talented :)

i know this was a hard decision for you guys to make and I am glad that Sophia has found a new home that will be a positive force in her life! She has so much talent it would have been a shame for her to have lost her love of the sport!! Can't wait to hear how she progresses at her new gym home!!

I can not wait to see all of the great accomplishments little Sophia will have at her new 'healthy' gym!! Good luck to you both!!

So glad you decided to make the switch!! I think this will be so good for your daughter. Can't wait to hear how she likes practices, etc.!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back