WAG Did you see this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not enough info provided to really form an opinion. Maybe it was warranted. Maybe USAG wanting to make a statement and they were and easy target. Maybe a bit of both...

If you google around, you can find more of the story. I feel terrible for the athletes who now must find another gym in order to compete, but if keeping kids safe is to mean anything, USAG has to disaffiliate from gyms who allow individuals like the one at the center of this controversy to be involved in the gym. The one piece that's not clear to me is what role that individual was playing in the gym -- I do think it's a tougher call if he was strictly there in a client capacity -- but if he was coaching even informally or in any capacity where he was interacting with kids, that's a big nope for me.

From googling/reading, it seems the person is the son of the owner who was formerly convicted of abusing gymnasts...so even if he was there as a client, I feel USAG made the right call. He shouldn’t have been allowed in the gym at all.

ETA: yes, I do feel bad for the gymnasts

Reactions: sce
I don’t know how true this is, but a commenter on a related article stated that Legacy Elite has acquired the gym.

To be clear, he is a registered violent offender, not a sex offender. He was apparently acquitted of the sex charges on appeal. However, I still think this gym made a terrible decision and deserves what they received.

I don’t know how true this is, but a commenter on a related article stated that Legacy Elite has acquired the gym.

Those two gyms are close location wise, so I can see that being a possibility.

I don’t feel one single ounce of sympathy for the gym or the owners. Not one. What a horrible decision they made, and they are still backing up that decision.

To be clear, he is a registered violent offender, not a sex offender. He was apparently acquitted of the sex charges on appeal. However, I still think this gym made a terrible decision and deserves what they received.

He was not acquitted, which indicates that a formal finding was made that his guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. His conviction was overturned because of errors at the trial. Upon the threat of re-prosecution, he agreed to a plea bargain for the lesser offense.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20_1_linda-lynch-lynch-and-arndt-andrea-arndt

An older article about the original case. They have defended him constantly even when he was found guilty. I’m sorry but if 14 kids accused you of sexual abuse, you are most likely guilty of something.
Even though they defended him the gym settled a lawsuit paying out a lot of money. Sounds like there had been prior accusations as well. Really seems that keeping him away from children is a good idea. http://www.mfbhlaw.com/results/settlement-in-sex-abuse-case-at-gymnastics-club/

The man was found guilty of 7 molestation charges and acquitted on the other 7. His conviction was overturned but he agreed to a bargain plea of seven counts of aggravated battery and seven counts of unlawful restraint in a public place. The case settled and gym paid $1.5 million for the sex abuse case I am assuming in civil court. Members of his gym were sued for potential forging documents (class schedule) to help exonerate him. This case was dismissed. I try not to pass harsh judgments based largely on what I read in the internet but even if I may not have all the facts, there is enough out there for me to believe this man should not be allowed near any child, in any establishment or any situation. I support USAG's decision.

He was not acquitted, which indicates that a formal finding was made that his guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. His conviction was overturned because of errors at the trial. Upon the threat of re-prosecution, he agreed to a plea bargain for the lesser offense.

yes. and he is on the 'violent offender' list. not the other due to the plea bargain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back