MAG do boys ever do two vaults?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

2G1B

Proud Parent
For girls they do two and are scored in the better of the two. Is there a level when the boys start doing two or is it only two if you mess up and then you take a deduction?

At L10 they can do two, but they have to be two different vaults.

no. i'll answer both.

a level 10 can actually do just 1 vault. no requirement to compete 2. mostly everyone has their younger kids do 2, but the grannies (love.) 1.

at level 10, if they do 2 vaults, the one that scores highest is the keeper. they can both be from the same families.

at the Elite level. they too usually only do 1 vault and they can only perform 1 vault. UNLESS...they are verifying for an event where there will be vault finals. for a competition with vault finals, like say World Championships, the athlete must perform 2 different vaults from 2 different families.

now, boys. a level 10 usually does 1 vault. they can do 2. if they do, they must both be from different families.

at the Elite level, same as above for the girls. you can't make event finals on vault unless you have 2 different vaults from 2 different families.

Here (in France) boys always do two vaults, starting from the first age group. These can be the same or different- so a boy might attempt a difficult vault then do a simpler one if it doesn't go well. Only the higher score is kept.

The vault rotations are always finished way before floor anyway, so plenty of time for extra vaults! It does help a bit with the 'all or nothing-ness' of it. On Sat I saw two boys do 4 vaults each. No idea why.

I wish they got 2 shots at it....wouldn't take that much more time..lol. And maybe D would land on his feet!

Dreading next year if DS does move up to L8. Dreading it. It's been bad enough watching the new L8 girls trying to get one out of two to their feet this year!

We were just excited when D 'landed' on his feet before his butt!

I am surprised at the boys at 8/9 doing fhs vaults, yama****as, both with and without twists.

From my understanding, boys can do 2 vaults at any level but that option is rarely used. My son's coach had him take a second vault at a local meet when a child walked across the runway during his first vault just as he was starting to go so his vault was completely messed up.
The two vault scores are averaged.

I've also seen a boy take a second vault at a State championship.

A vault can only be repeated if it's a balk or somehow incomplete, and then the 1 point deduction applies. However, a judge can exercise discretion and allow a repeat if it seems warranted. A kid walking across the vault track in the middle of another kid's vault seems like a fair call. At our boys' last meet, they had the nicest vault judge in the world, who noticed that one of our boys, a very powerful vaulter, had vaulted on the wrong setting. He let him have a do-over with no penalty. Most judges would have just figured that was a great way to get him and his coach to be more careful next time. Even for the repeat with deduction, there seems to be a little room for discretion. One judge a few years ago let one of our guys repeat a vault with the 1.0 deduction after he started in the wrong place and did the vault but botched it.

We were just excited when D 'landed' on his feet before his butt!

I am surprised at the boys at 8/9 doing fhs vaults, yama****as, both with and without twists.

I guess I could see a yami with a twist at L8 if a kid is really good at it, but I'd hope that by L9, they'd have figured out something with a higher SV. I'm assuming that DS is going to learn a tsuk somehow over the next 10 months if he moves up. He's doing timers now. Do some guys go from a strong front HS or yami directly to a hand front? That's the only reason I could see sticking with those -- compete what's ready for prime time while they're working on getting the other passable?

My child will never ever ever ever do a hand front.

We have one boy who is a really strong vaulter that is working hand front. He is very close to landing it. The rest are doing tsuks.

DD has a female teammate who does a hand front at L9. It's not fully consistent, but when she hits it, it's really impressive. When she was still vaulting FHS at L7, the only deductions she was taking were on her landings because that thing was too powerful for her to stick.

DS is doing a FHS to Front tuck already in practice - working on piking it. ? can they do that at L8 or only at L9....he's also got a piked Tsuk in the works for L8 next year - Vault is easy for him - but oh, pommel....a different story. I wish the boys got 2 vaults - but its the only thing that I've found that is stricter for boys than girls - every other thing seems to work in their favor - so overall I'll take it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back