do i have shin splints or is this just normal for gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

so starting like a couple of weeks ago, my shins started hurting.it hurts after i land like front tucks and stuff on floor but now it hurts a littlee when i run too. the pain is like on my calf except its like the top of it so its like a bone. and it hurts when i press my leg kinda hard/medium.

I second going to the doctor. No one here is a qualified medical expert and even if someone is, it is not the right place to diagnose someone. Doing skills in gymnastics should definitely not hurt.

I always tell my Daughter if it hurts enough to complain then a Dr appointment is needed. A Dr visit and probably an x-ray will give you your answer.

Just saying, i don't like doctors; I moved to a different town when i was in 6th grade and the pediatrician i had gone to my whole life became unavailable and the new doctors office had a new doctor everytime i went so i stopped going, i didnt like the incosistency of it all. In addition to having a doctor i never knew everytime i went if i complained about something like a pinched nerve, pins in my knees, weak ankles, spasms in my back (not real "spasms" just burst of pain occasionally), or the lovely debilitating shins splints (I had used to have them so bad that i could barely walk back down the vault to try again), the doctors would always say "take a break". So i understand while you are simply asking whether it be out of curiosity of what is wrong or if it is worth going to the doctor. Im believe that if it is shins splints (which would be a pain similar to a knife being scraped along your shin) then you should do toe raises to improve the strength in this area, after the area is strengthened the pain should go away. I'm also not sure what a doctor would do for shin splints other than advise a "break".

P.S. it is strange that i dont like doctors because i aspire to be a surgeon :D

I would recommend a visit to your GP (family doctor) who may possibly refer you to a physiotherapist. A good physio is worth their weight in gold, especially if you can find one with gymnastics knowledge. If not, then a dance physio is probably your next best option. The physio can tell you how long you should rest, what kind of activities to avoid as you are healing, and give you specific exercises to strengthen the affected area.

Just from what I learned in my sports med class, shin splints is actually the irritation of the outer sheath of the tibia bone. There is not a whole lot you can do for it except for ice, rest, and anti-inflammatory (tylonol). However, both shinsplints, stress fractures, and compartment syndrom have similar signs and symptoms. If it is one of the other two, then it can become pretty serious. It's better to get it checked out to be sure that it is shin splints and be prescribed exercises and such to treat it, rather than finding out it is a bigger problem.

I believe sometimes we need just a little information, not necessarily a diagnosis or treatment, on what is bothering us before we make a trip to the doctor. And as such, I am responding merely to provide very limited information and by no means a diagnosis or treatment. Often times, gymnasts experience a soreness, tightness, etc. And often times, they describe this as a "pain", which it may or may not be. In your post, you indicated you thought you had shin splints and at the end of your post, you were referring to the "upper portion of your calves". Shin splints (shins are located in front of your legs, that area between the knees and the ankles) are caused by inflammation. Runners tend to get more shin splints than other sports. In addition, shin splints can be caused by sudden or rapid increase of physical activity. It is considered an injury. Rest is usually the prescribed treatment and it usually takes a couple weeks to heal. I am not saying you need this or even have shin splints. I am merely speaking of what I know about shin splints. As far as pain in your calves when you run, it just may be sore or tight, or you could have pulled a muscle or something else. Lastly, it is hard to make out what part of the body you describe as the "top of your calves that is like a bone". If you are speaking of the area right below your knee and above your shins, and not your calves, my DD had this problem last year. I was a little concerned. She had this "pain" every time she did vault. As you can see, there are several things that need to be addressed or could be causing your "pain". As such, if the pain is bothering you, you should speak with your parents and maybe see a doctor. The last thing you want to do is work through the pain and cause more serious problems.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back