Parents Do privates help with getting skills quickly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have found that privates are great when my dd is struggling with a skill. When else do they really have an opportunity to focus on one specific skill for 30 minutes (or how ever long your private is)? My dd just finished 4 privates (one a week) to get her kip. She thinks that if she didn't do the privates, it still would have been a month or two until she got her kip because they are usually only on the kip station for 5 - 10 minutes at practice!

I have found that privates are great when my dd is struggling with a skill. When else do they really have an opportunity to focus on one specific skill for 30 minutes (or how ever long your private is)? My dd just finished 4 privates (one a week) to get her kip. She thinks that if she didn't do the privates, it still would have been a month or two until she got her kip because they are usually only on the kip station for 5 - 10 minutes at practice!

Yep this was my thought. My daughter isn't doing very high hours (6 per week). So she gets maybe 6 ROBHS tries, 4 shoot through/MC/cut back, 4 FHC. I thought that by being able to do many more reps of each she could more quickly get the missing skills in time to compete. I totally get what some of you are saying that it's not going to get her ahead in the long-run -I'm not even thinking about the long run as I have no clue if she will even be doing gym in 1 year or 5 years. But at the moment her group is advancing to compete level 3 and she's in danger of being left behind -so I'm hoping this can help. Thanks for the responses!

They can absolutely help if the child is determined and you have a good coach. There are a couple of skills that my daughters would have probably never gotten without a private or two here and there.

I vote a strong YES. This said, it depends how your child responds to them. Some kids get the skills they needed help with during the lesson and it is very exciting, whereas others take more time and just grasp concepts that will help them get the skill in the future. You'll never know until you try which type your kid is, so go for it and book one, and then see what transpires!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back