Parents Do you "break in" a competition leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilymom

Proud Parent
We got the leotards for DD's competition (so cute!) and the material is pretty stiff (well, not stiff exactly but tight.) Are we supposed to break it in before competitions? Thanks!

Before our first meet, the girls generally have both picture day and a mock meet to "try out" their comp leos. Comp leos are generally tighter than practice leos. I think it's more a matter of getting used to than than actually breaking them in. Of course, you can wash it before she wears it, but read the washing instructions carefully first. Don't just assume that the way you wash her practice leos will be safe for her competition leo. And though there are certainly plenty of people who play "fast and loose" with the washing instructions, in my mind, it's just not worth the risk. Colors can bleed or fade and you don't want to end up with a ruined leo on your hands right before her first meet.

Generally our girls don't wear their competition leotards at any time other than the competition. However, I do recommend washing. As Mary said though, just watch those washing instructions. No one wants to have the kid at the competition in the faded leotard that is 2 sizes too small with half the bling missing!

When my dd first started team she did wear her leo and did some dance throughs of her routine at home a few times to get used to the tight long sleeve leo. She had some sensory issues with clothing (which she has mostly grown out of thank goodness!) and she needed some time to get used to it.

I would suggest having your DD wear it before competition. This is my DD's first year competing and she didn't wear her leo until her first competition. After the competition was over I found out that one of the seams inside the leo had rubbed the backs of her little shoulders raw :-( When I saw her shoulders I asked her about it because, at no point did she appear to be uncomfortable or pulling/adjusting her leo. She said it had been bothering her the whole competition but she decided to "just stay focused and work through it" (DD is 6 years old so that made me smile). Anyway, now we know to put some little band aids on those 2 spots before she dresses. Would have been nice to know before the first competition.

I would suggest having your DD wear it before competition. This is my DD's first year competing and she didn't wear her leo until her first competition. After the competition was over I found out that one of the seams inside the leo had rubbed the backs of her little shoulders raw :-( When I saw her shoulders I asked her about it because, at no point did she appear to be uncomfortable or pulling/adjusting her leo. She said it had been bothering her the whole competition but she decided to "just stay focused and work through it" (DD is 6 years old so that made me smile). Anyway, now we know to put some little band aids on those 2 spots before she dresses. Would have been nice to know before the first competition.
Any suggestions on what to do if they say they are itchy?

If the tag itches you can just remove it. If it's just a couple of areas, say around the seams, you can use band aids or body tape to cover those particular areas. If it's the entire leo that's itchy I'm not sure what you do.

Ha. Make sure YOU remove the tag and not your daughter. Last season my kid took off her warm ups at the first meet and there was a big hole in the side where she had cut the tag off herself.

Ha. Make sure YOU remove the tag and not your daughter. Last season my kid took off her warm ups at the first meet and there was a big hole in the side where she had cut the tag off herself.

OMG...I would have been so mad! Doesn't she know how expensive those things are??? My guess is she does now! :oops:

For the overall itchy leotards, you can get flesh colored "liners" (not sure what they're called) so they're essentially wearing a nude leo under their leo. I think they're cheap, like $12

A lot of comp leos have the itch factor. Usually because of all the embellishments that practice leos don't have. You can get some iron on interfacing at the fabric store cut it to size and iron it to the area that itches (usually it is in one spot or if you have a spot that causes irritation) If its just an itchy all over feel well they do make liners as stated above or your DD will just have to endure.

If the tag itches you can just remove it. If it's just a couple of areas, say around the seams, you can use band aids or body tape to cover those particular areas. If it's the entire leo that's itchy I'm not sure what you do.
Thanks everyone those are great ideas!

My DD did the exact same thing when she was younger! I said she couldn't remove the tag, but she did anyway, along with a chunk of the leo. LOL. Luckily, there was enough material left to have it fixed and it wasn't a complicated material (velvet). It makes for a cute story now

It was pretty embarrassing since I am a coach too. Lol. But I ended up sewing up the hole and all was well.

I think liners are great but some leos with jewels on mesh, especially on the arms are just itchy. I just tell my dd to deal with it and she does. Haha

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back