Parents Do You Consider This Fair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd goes to a competitive gym with a very successful team. They do not do this. I would be especially concerned about the division amongst the girls--that really destroys any team feeling.I think that would have to affect the girls' confidence.

Last edited:
At our gym, the girls all workout the same schedule/hours for the level they are competing. However, there is a wide range of skill development at this point with the level 4s, so they are often split during their workout time. This allows both the more advanced and the newer girls to have a workout that is more "customized" for what they need to work on. I think this makes sense and the girls do not seem to have any issue with it.

DDs old gym does this. Level 4s were split into two groups with one group going shorter hours and only being allowed to compete in local league meets. The group that went 1.5 hours more per week competed in USAG meets.

At level 5 they have two groups also. Both groups practice the same number of hours, but they go on alternating nights with the "better" girls (those that were previously USAG 4s) getting the more experienced coaches. However, they all compete in the same meets, so it is unfair in my opinion for the second group (the former league 4s). It causes an "us" against "them" scenario which is not at all good for team morale.

DDs current gym does not do this. All girls at the same level practice the same time for the same number of hours. DD likes this arrangement much better!

Good luck with your daughter. Hopefully they will make things more equitable soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back