Parents Does anyone know anyone who got their kip quickly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD got hers very quickly, but she did need to polish it for a while. Never lost it, even after getting grips.

Giants? I might cry.
Puma Jr can do strap bar giants easily and on regular bar with a light spot...but the kip...oh, kip....(but I know this is not typical at all..long story, as some know...lol)

Lol, J got the kip and giants fairly quickly ON THE LOW BAR! She was a fraidy cat on high bar. Took months 4 her to get Giants up there. She struggled briefly with high bar kip, but I think that was bc she could barely jump to high bar or was afraid of jumping, who knows. Front Giants and other circles are her current nemesis! However, in regards to the original post, J had kip before she ever competed old L4 and MONTHS before that blasted mill circle! I'm not sure she could do a mill circle today, 3.5 years later!!

Gosh, it's hard to say. They work progressions so long that it's hard to gauge when they actually start learning a skill as opposed to being expected to do one. And ... what is really a long time?
DD got her kip at the same time as her FHC (at 6yo/preteam). She kept it for a few months until she decided that she would no longer do it with bent arms. So, she spent about 3-4 months without the kip because she refused to bend her arms. Needless to say, they were nice when she got them back & she moved right to L4!

One of DD's friends got it quickly but she took months to get hers, longer to get it with straight arms. She then went through a growth spurt, lost her kip and had to work really hard to get it back.

Now she has a great high and low bar kip but it took a lot of work, persistence and patience to get there.

My DD seemed to get it quickly. Competed it in level 3. Just one day after a camp (not even a regular practice) the coach came out and told me she had it. They had been working progressions for a while.

She has always been a strong bar worker. But the child cannot leap. And her vault is a constant work in progress.

If they are working progressions they are really not getting it right away. The progression time counts.

Mine got hers quickly. Then lost it. Then got it. Then grew.

Thought it had gone forever but it came back. Then went. Now it's back again but it's none too pretty.

DD got it quickly. From no progressions to having it in about four practices. Her form on basically everything will never be perfect, but she's never lost it. She also had her squat on from the first time asked to try it and her flyaway came in about two practices. Other kids may struggle to get it longer and in the end would probably end up beating her in scores, but she plugs along and does her best from the start.

DD got it within a few weeks of working it consistently. It took another 14 months or so to get to a point where it looked "good" and yet almost another year or so to look like she's really doing it confidently and well.

This is true, but I do think the OP was asking if anyone was, for lack of a better term, 'gifted' in the kip area. Meaning getting it with little to no prep work/progression assistance, so to speak.
Well, I take a lot of things into account before I am "impressed" with a skill. I would be (am) way more impressed when a 6yo gets a kip (or any other skill) than a 10yo. Age, maturity, & body awareness play a huge roll.
Also, kid getting a kip in a few weeks while on preteam or in a rec class? Impressive! Kid getting a kip in a few weeks while training 16 hours a week? Not as impressive.

Plus, a kip isn't always a kip. Yes, they flung their body onto the top of the bar and muscled it up. I'd say most would consider that the point of 1st kip. Would the coaches? Probably not.

I'm probably thinking way too deeply about this, but there are just so many factors involved.

My dd is a thinker which tends to get a bit in the way on those timing skills. It took her a little longer to get her kip than some of the kids, but she also refused to bend her arms. She insisted the skill requires straight arms so she wasn't going to cheat. I wouldn't say she struggled but she got it after the strongest kids that can muscle their way through things. But when she got it, it was there and it looked pretty darn good. She never had to work through the bent arm kip stuff and she was one of the first in her group to get a kip cast handstand. Since someone mentioned age and hours, she was seven and in the gym 10 hours a week at the time.

duyetanh said:
This is true, but I do think the OP was asking if anyone was, for lack of a better term, 'gifted' in the kip area. Meaning getting it with little to no prep work/progression assistance, so to speak.

Ok where did that quote come from since I can't see the orginal post. Is it me, my devices or a technical glitch o_O
Stuff like that bugs me. :rolleyes:

Ok where did that quote come from since I can't see the orginal post. Is it me, my devices or a technical glitch o_O

[/QUOTE]

Seems like CB had the hiccups with some posts vanishing ☺

Dd was a first try kipper but thats how she rolls.

duyetanh said:

I've seen posts come and go all day yesterday and today. I thought I was going crazy at first. :)

My dd is a level 3 at a gym that doesn't really uptrain during the competition season. They haven't done any kip practice or drills (other than the glide that is part of the level 3 routine). A couple of months ago, she decided to try a kip on her own during bars practice after watching the older kids do them. It took a couple of practices, but she did successfully do multiple (not straight arm) kips on several different days. She showed her coach who basically said that's nice, but you don't need that yet so don't worry about it. And she hasn't tried one since. :( I *think* she'll probably get it pretty quickly once they start training them. She's definitely strong on bars and has picked up most of the skills easily so far. Of course, I have no real idea and they might have been flukes and she might end up struggling with it. Who knows really.

But for her it's definitely leaps and turns that she struggles with. She does fine with her ROBHS on the floor and then has trouble with the half turn towards the end of the routine. lol. She's also not terribly graceful. She does have a really nice toe point though. :)

I have a friend whose daughter did not struggle for her kip at all -it came a few weeks after she started working on it -just like any skill. Is this extremely unusual or are there other stories like this? I'm just curious -it's a skill with such a huge reputation but my DD hasn't gotten there yet. Interested to hear any stories about this skill.

My dd got it a few weeks after working on it also. That was in February. With straight arms also. Then in July she got her kip cast handstand and in August she got giants. Don't know if that's the norm or not.

DD observed her older friend practicing them repeatedly without supervision since coach was overwhelmed with athletes in her program (they had a lot of alone time). DD mimicked the kip on her first try. I was in the viewing area and was alerted by the other moms that she had done her kip. I had no idea what a kip was at the time. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back