Parents Does this sound appropriate? hyper-extension?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
I'm not in the know on best stretches, but one of the younger coaches in our gym said that they plan to work on my daughters legs so that her straight legs look even straighter. She said they'll be pushing down on her feet while she's sitting with legs out in front of her to help build knee flexibility so she has hyper-extended knees. This doesn't sound safe to me, but what do you think? Has anyone had anything similar to this done to their child? Maybe I'm missing something here? TIA

I'm just a parent, but hyperextending knees seems like a bad idea. Actually I injured my knee by hyperextending it when I was young and it has been a chronic issue ever since.
I am kinda confused by the description if the stretch- if they are pushing down on her feet with her legs in front of her how is that extending her knee? It sounds more like teaching her to keep the knee extended by trying to make her knee bend (bad description but kwim?)

Thanks for the posts... After reading a bit it doesn't sound like forcing hyper extension is safe for her. And yes, I was equally confused by the stretch the coach mentioned about pushing her feet down but figured since I'm not familiar with these things maybe it would make sense to you guys.
In any case, looks like their group has another new coach again so unless the new coach suggests hyper extension it's a moot point. But good to read the link above too and see there are other stretches and areas to develop to help with straight lines and legs.

Throughly read this post and I believe there are some links to view specific exercises.

https://www.theballetblog.com/portfolio/knees-dont-straighten/

This lady is a PT and knows her stuff. Written for dancers but is the same problem seen in gymnasts. Do not allow the coach to do anything you aren't comfortable with. What I do is ask my dd's PT if something the coach is doing is going to hurt dd. If the answer is "yes" I will intervene and say her PT said that it was harmful in her case (don't make a blanket statement). Usually her PT says "no, it won't hurt her, but it also isn't helping." In that case I leave well enough alone and realize that if it's a coach/program I trust, their knowledge will catch up. There is still a lot of "this is the way I've/we've always done it" out there, but it's getting better, slowly, lol.

Ooops, meant to write that hyper extensions ISN'T safe for her.

Thanks for the posts... After reading a bit it doesn't sound like forcing hyper extension is safe for her. And yes, I was equally confused by the stretch the coach mentioned about pushing her feet down but figured since I'm not familiar with these things maybe it would make sense to you guys.
In any case, looks like their group has another new coach again so unless the new coach suggests hyper extension it's a moot point. But good to read the link above too and see there are other stretches and areas to develop to help with straight lines and legs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back