Parents don't laugh - what's a "troll"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
I've seen folks call out members after a post for being a "troll" on both this forum and a photography forum I belong to. What does that mean? Different than a lurker... Someone who lies? What is their end goal? I'm so not down with the lingo or internet forums or gymnastics yet!

Thanks!

someone who deliberately posts to wind the forum up, either by being negative / picking on members or posting inflammatory remarks / subjects

So here, something along the lines of :

"Should my 3 year old continue with her twice weekly privates and 20 hour a week elite training, and do you like her handsprings on our trampoline and giants on the home bar ?"

internet-troll-1.jpg

"Should my 3 year old continue with her twice weekly privates and 20 hour a week elite training, and do you like her handsprings on our trampoline and giants on the home bar ?"
If only they were that blatant ;). I think most of us know when we see these posts that the comments are (at least) a little suspicious. But we're all trying to be helpful, supportive and positive and therefore often the trolls get what they want. Generally speaking they don't respond to any follow-up questions or comments. I suspect because it would be pretty obvious pretty quickly that they are not who they say they are.

I'm assuming they're somewhat twisted and therefore I wouldn't understand the motivation /end game. Presumably, as Pineapple Lump's post says, it's partially wanting others to feel as bad as themselves. Probably a power thing too.

I suspect some trolls are bored teenagers but I would also say adult trolls do it through boredom and loneliness, if they were happy and their time was occupied with other stuff they would have no time or need to troll, so I kinda feel sorry for trolls because I don't think they can be very happy with their life.

I don't always think they're malicious. sometimes I think they are sad, lonely people looking for attention. The attention makes them feel better about themselves. Alas, that doesn't make them less annoying.

I think they like to drum up an argument. They live for and look for drama. I'm sure we know people like this in our personal lives too. ;-)

I think this issue strikes a nerve for me. This is the only forum I’m part of and the first place I had come across the term but based on what I’ve read here it sounds like there are different types of trolls.

someone who deliberately posts to wind the forum up, either by being negative / picking on members or posting inflammatory remarks / subjects

I’ve only been on CB for a month or two but unless posts are getting deleted very quickly, all of the suspected trolls that I’ve come across appear to be a little different than what Iwannabemargo described. They have all been pretending to be part of the group. Either gymnasts or parents of gymnasts that appear to be relatively clueless. While I don’t think they are intentionally trying to post outrageous comments, I think they are trying to sound legitimate but extreme (to cause the most significant reaction). If someone literally wrote:

The collective response would be TROLL! And we would all move on. The comment above from Iwannabemargo is a merger (albeit a funny merger) of a few different troll (or at least suspected troll) posts.

To me nothing else jumps out as much as the lack of response once the troll gets a response from anyone that’s trying to help. For me personally, when I ask a question and I get an answer (or several answers) I’m very thankful and appreciative. Even something that might seem trivial (like a question I had about a certain stretch) I got answers that put my mind at ease. So when someone asks the types of questions that they tend to ask and get answers from coaches, gymnasts and experienced parents and then doesn’t even acknowledge that it was helpful and doesn’t answer follow-up questions it feels like a troll to me.

The comment above from Iwannabemargo is a merger (albeit a funny merger) of a few different troll (or at least suspected troll) posts.

You would be surprised what we have had on here !

TBH a good trolling can be quite amusing to some of the old lags on here, but most often posts like I made up come from clueless CGM/CGD's.

They go one of two ways, you have the gold star reaction, I did not know, thanks for the advice, we shall learn and stick around.

Others argue they are right, we are all wrong and their princess is the second coming, and generally flounce off in a huff. They are fun, and invariably if you look up the prince/princess on MMS or other such they are no longer in the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back