Parents Don't you just love articles like this...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The people that poo-poo commitment to youth sports in this manner are not SPORTS people. When I look at the people in town whose kids do not commit to sport(s) it is because the parents don't have passion for sports, althletics, etc. That's fine - to each, his own.

However, my husband and I grew up playing sports from sports loving families who love to watch and play. We have participated at varying levels our whole lives. My kids are devoted to what they do, and never question the hours. Side note, my son would practice and play baseball every minute if he could. He does batting drills in the house ALL THE TIME, even when I say STOP.

I love that passion and commitment and I am amazed at what athletes can do, just like I am amazed by musicians. It is called appreciation.

Commitment to high level training and competition is great. Like everything, there needs to be balance. And what balance looks like is different for every kid and every family

I do agree with what others have said...when a kid develops an interest in a sport "later" it is hard to be competitive because all the other kids started when they were 5... :-(

My husband and I are not sports people, at all. I am a book person and my hubby a music person. I, however, grew up with parents too poor and too busy to let me pursue any outside activites. I always held a little resentment that any talents I had weren't nurtured, and I always promised myself I would let me kids follow their passions. I can see both sides of this issue, and I firmly believe it depends on the kid. Some kids thrive with lots of regimentation and a hectic schedule and some would wither. It's a parents job to nurture who their child is, not who they or society expects them to be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back