MAG DS progress to L8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
It's been a long road! I posted a lot throughout my sons injury, decline, and wrist surgery.....it's been a little over a year since his surgery and a big gym switch and he is on his way to competing L8 this season.

It's been three months since he has been at the new gym. I have NO idea how he is doing in practice other than what the coaches tell me because I literally drop him off at the door, and pick him up at the door. I know progress is slow, but the coaches are comfortable that he will begin the season competing with some L8 routines but not all events, and hopefully by March he will be able to compete all 6 events. Pommel is the biggest problem right now.

His new coaches felt that his self esteem was so low when he got there, they are first just trying to get him to believe he can do the harder stuff. They want him to have FUN again and the boys are ALL so nice and encouraging to one another. The new gym has a large team with several older athletes and he feels he is part of it. The training is very hard. He went from 12 hrs to 18 hrs and he is in 9th grade now. His wrist is totally fine, and all his other ailments have vanished too.... He is conditioning like crazy and has some basic L8 routines and is trying to upgrade a few.......He is doing well juggling school and gym and he is SO happy he is still doing GYMNASTICS.......
He still dreams of being able to do it in college, but he sees so many options about gym after 18 now that he feels relaxed.

For me, I feel so much better detaching completely from HIS sport. Besides, I have a 9 yo at another gym to worry about and a non gymnast child..........but I will say, it was HARD watching my son go from being a little state champ, regional champ, down to zero in gymnastics.......I am so proud of him and so happy he has picked himself up and stuck with it no matter what. We don't care what he scores anymore....we are just happy he is doing what he clearly loves. What a wild ride and a lesson for parenting.

What a great update! I am so glad to hear that he is happy now. You did the right thing encouraging him to stay with it and finding the gym for him. It's going to be great watching him have fun out there this year, no matter what happens with scores and all that stuff.

Great update! Glad to hear that he is loving it again, and making progress. We can survive level 8 together this year! i do have to agree with not knowing anythign being great! I have no idea what D is doing out there, and even though I am at the gym a lot, I have no clue what is going on! Laptops with movies are great :)

That is an awesome update, glad he's happy doing gymnastics again. He's also gained a lot from the struggles he's gone through and is making it out the other side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back