WAG "Elite Gym" or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
We have 3 elites that are dropping back to level 10 this year and my coach has coached many elites. Since we no longer have any elites, are we still an "Elite Gym"?

My coach was telling us that he wants to just have a very strong level 10 team this year and not worry about elite or anything.

I think there's a two or three year "shelf life" on the elite label. Figure it like this.....it takes an unusual gymnast with rare qualities to be successful at the elite level, so I'd rather see a gym wait for the right kid than "coach" the elite into the few best kids in the gym at the moment.

We have 3 elites that are dropping back to level 10 this year and my coach has coached many elites. Since we no longer have any elites, are we still an "Elite Gym"?

My coach was telling us that he wants to just have a very strong level 10 team this year and not worry about elite or anything.

there is no such thing.:)

My friend determines "Elite" as being on the Senior National Team and competing Internationally. Everything else is just training elite or nationally ranked. Compete in elite, but you're only elite if you compete Europeans, Asians, Pan-Ams, Worlds, Olympics.

He did. Bronze medal. :rolleyes: Love to correct me when I talk about kids who are training elite or competing on the elite circuit.

My friend determines "Elite" as being on the Senior National Team and competing Internationally. Everything else is just training elite or nationally ranked. Compete in elite, but you're only elite if you compete Europeans, Asians, Pan-Ams, Worlds, Olympics.

He did. Bronze medal. :rolleyes: Love to correct me when I talk about kids who are training elite or competing on the elite circuit.

I can proudly say my DD competes at an "elite gym"! Pan Ams,Worlds, Senior National Team Members.. My DD isn't elite (but hopes to be:) but sure is blessed to have coaches that think BIG:) I am bragging about our gym shamelessly but I really feel blessed for my DD and her teammates to live in a city with coaches who believe in them and know how to help them reach their potential.

I can proudly say my DD competes at an "elite gym"! Pan Ams,Worlds, Senior National Team Members.. My DD isn't elite (but hopes to be:) but sure is blessed to have coaches that think BIG:) I am bragging about our gym shamelessly but I really feel blessed for my DD and her teammates to live in a city with coaches who believe in them and know how to help them reach their potential.

Wow! Happy for you...and super jealous, too! Lol. Closest elite gym is about an hour and ten minutes away. Don't see how we will ever be able to make that work....

Wow! Happy for you...and super jealous, too! Lol. Closest elite gym is about an hour and ten minutes away. Don't see how we will ever be able to make that work....

If there were ever a reason to leave our gym, there are not any other options close enough to swing with my other child's schedule to consider, too. I realize how lucky she is and I am grateful.

Jealousy rears its ugly head here, too! Our gym produces one college scholarship winner per year, roughly, but we're def. small potatoes! I'd love for DD to have the opportunity to work with coaches with that level of aspiration. I'm not sure she has the talent, she def has the desire right now to go all the way, but she's only 9. I'm not sure our family could do a move or commute to get her to a gym an hour or more away to support training Elite level . DH thinks she'd quit gymnastics if faced with that kind of car time, maybe he's right.

That's awesome GymBeeMom. We are at a small gym and dd is the first one to do a double back in that gym in at least 10 years. And she is only 10. Coaches and I have been talking about how to keep her engaged and challenged because she has talent, just not sure what to do as we don't have options.

That's awesome GymBeeMom. We are at a small gym and dd is the first one to do a double back in that gym in at least 10 years. And she is only 10. Coaches and I have been talking about how to keep her engaged and challenged because she has talent, just not sure what to do as we don't have options.

If your coaches are trained to work up to the highest levels, they will probably be very engaged in her success. Hopefully they can continue to help her progress, sounds like she is well on her way! My DD is only level 7 so lots of growth to do ,but it is fun watching the big girls doing their highest skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back