Parents End of the season--Almost

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
I haven't posted much(if at all) about gymmie's comp season. Alot of life has gotten in the way and to be honest, it has been a very frustrating few months with inconsistent coaching(esp. on vault), going through the puberty bug, continued knee pain, but got ok from pediatric ortho, disappointment with not moving to L9. I could go on and on.

So, we got to the last regular meet and gymmie flips the yurchenko for the 1st time. Gets back to the gym and decides enough of the fear of connecting the bhs-bhs series. Comes home dancing one night saying, she did a few on low beam and then just got up on high beam and did a few. Jumped off the beam and started crying---such relief. As far as I was concerned we could just end the year there. She will go to L9 next year--no doubt. But still had states this past weekend.

Last practice the night before states,she pulls her hamstring!

Starts on bars(her fav event)--she just blasted it. Bail was gorgeous. Scored a 9.5(2nd place)
Beam--would she connect the series or not? Did 1 in warm up. Got up and I could tell she that was all she was thinking about--several bobbles then the time for the series and she did it----1st time ever in a meet and did it at states. All her coaches were jumping up and down. Ended up with an 8.2, but it was a huge victory.
Floor--doesn't like the music, but the judges do. Big tumbling passes and she really hit her dance(and she's not a dancer). Got a 9.475(4th)
Vault--did the yurchenko. Low landing and needs to have a tighter tuck--8.85(didn't place).
They only went out 10 places(less than 1/2), but she got up there for 9th AA(36.025) and is going to regionals!!!! I couldn't be more proud of this kid. She has worked and overcome fears and now is walking on air. HC said he has seen a new kid in the gym the last few weeks and was thrilled for her.
So, she gets to keep practicing routines and nursing the hamstring for a few more weeks.
Flippersmom--I'll pm you since our girls will be at the same regionals, but not in the same age groups.
Just had to share with all of you. People at work just nod and say "oh, thats nice." They mean well, but don't have a clue what regionals is.
Thanks for reading all of this dribble:)

YAY!!!! It's so great when they overcome something they've been afraid to do!!! Great scores too (the icing on the cake, I'm sure!). Good Luck at Regionals!! And keep that hamstring safe!

Well she really has overcome some huge roadblocks this year. It is impressive that she was able to compete at States considering her injuries. Then to place and make it to Regionals is even more impressive.

That was a very respectable AA score and hopefully the hamstring will heal nicely before Regionals. NIce that you can have a CB hook up too!

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear about the hamstring, but it sounds as if it didn't slow her down much. Great job!

I told her to tell one of the coaches. What was I thinking?? Of course she didn't. I could see it was bothering her during floor warm up, but somehow she toughed out the routine. WE are telling the coaches today before practice.

Awesome job! Great to see your post GLM!

She sounds like she's peaked just at the right time (mentally & skill wise, maybe not so much for the hamstring, but let's pray that heals quickly!). Can't wait to hear how regionals go. :p

Great job. It sounds like she got the boost she needed to pull through all the rough times. Hopefully, it will be blue skies from here on out.

Wow! She did great on a pulled hamstring. Ouch! These gymmies always amaze me.

What a great meet she had. Congrats to her! She has worked through so much and it is so great to see her hard work paying off. What a way to finally nail that bar routine, at States and a 9.5, woohoo! She really showed everyone! What a way to start off the meet! She really rocked and deserves to go to Regionals! Hope she has a great time there and gets to show them her best routines!

Congratulations!!!! I love to hear stories of gymmies over coming fears...it gives me hope for my DD:)! Thanks for sharing the juicy details with us...you know we love it:D! Good luck at regionals!!!!

Wow! Big congrats to dd! I am so happy to hear that she is overcoming her fear--that is itself is a HUGE accomplishment! I love hearing stories of overcoming fear as well, because it gives me hope for my dd one day. It is also great to have you on here GLM--you are a great supporter with tons of insight and your dd is a huge inspiration!!!

Congrats to her on an AWESOME state meet! I loved reading her story too, it is very inspiring. It's a very real picture of what gymnastics can be, especially at those high levels. She just pushed through everything and worked it out, with support from her coaches, who were patient while she conquered her fears. I wish her the very best of luck at Regionals, but like you said, that beam routine is already a victory!

Congrats to her on an AWESOME state meet! I loved reading her story too, it is very inspiring. It's a very real picture of what gymnastics can be, especially at those high levels. She just pushed through everything and worked it out, with support from her coaches, who were patient while she conquered her fears. I wish her the very best of luck at Regionals, but like you said, that beam routine is already a victory!

Thanks gym-mom-fla. I think gymmie and her beam coach finally got to know each other somewhat over the summer and even though this coach can be a little snippy at times, she seemed to sense how to work through this fear thing with my child. She could have told her to either connect the series or she'd scratch her on beam at meets, but I think she knew that would be counter productive in this case. It would have been too much like the way she was treated when she was first learning this skill that instilled most of the fear to start with. Instead she let her compete beam without connecting the series. She told us that slowly but surely she was seeing gymmie trying the series more on low beam and knew she "wanted it badly." Actually, she started connecting the series on high beam when the coach was gone for a few days!! 1st practice the coach was back, gymmie said she had something she wanted the coach to see and got up and did the series. Apparently there was alot of hugging and coach commet, "you have some great timing!"

Woo hoo! Congrats on a great state meet. Qualifying for Regionals is a Huge accomplishment. I know what you mean.. When I tell some of my work or non gym friends. they look at me like "oh okay.. isnt that why she is at the gym 5 days a week? "

When are your Regions? Ours are next weekend!

Woo hoo! Congrats on a great state meet. Qualifying for Regionals is a Huge accomplishment. I know what you mean.. When I tell some of my work or non gym friends. they look at me like "oh okay.. isnt that why she is at the gym 5 days a week? "

When are your Regions? Ours are next weekend!

Thanks Kristilyn! Our regionals are April 17/18. This seems to be a down week in the gym for the L8s---working more on individual skills and then they start to really turn it up next week. Good idea since I think there is always that little let down after states. The focus right now is on the 9/10s since they have regionals next weekend.

When gymmie found out I posted about her state meet, she asked if I mentioned the team finish. Bad me---team took 4th out of 18(?) and missed 3rd by .1(ahhhh--so close!)

BTW--Best wishes to Beetle for a super regional meet.

What a great end to the season!! Oh to conquer the beam fear what a great thing.

DD had a good state also was working skills for level9 next season she hope :).....then they lowered our Regional score and now we are going.

She has done some amazing work on her bars the last few weeks ..i m hoping this carries over to regionals....we go next weekend...with beetle and kristilyn...

I know no matter what your dd fears of bem will shine throug as a seasson higlight.

Co-workers and firends no gym ones are always a let downn I think. They are like dont you do regionals beofre states. UGH!! NO Glad to have CB friends.

Great Job to her best wishes at Regions.

These are all tremendous victories! Congratulations to your dd.
We'll be waiting to hear about regionals . . . :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back