Entering College gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I talked to my coach today due his lack of coaching and somehow he brought up that i should try AGA a different gymnastics competition affiliate then USAG which is the norm. I have done AGA in the past and enjoyed it but as a level 7 my season would fall at the same point as the AGA meets.
This is the conflict, my worry is that along with a year of AGA i would have to compete a year of 7 which would make me a level nine when i wanted to apply to college gymnastics. Although i doubt i would ever join college gymnastics it was still my hope and i think AGA would put me too far behind.
Im not sure what i should do, but my question is; could you enter into college gymnastics even if not being affiliated with USAG. It seems to me that college gymnastics is a different competion all together but i was just curious if it would make a difference.

It doesnt matter what group you are affiliated with. Generally, when speaking to college coaches, they look at your level to determine what developments you have had fundamentally. However, at the end of the day it comes down to what skills you have, and what you can offer that collegiate team.

If you have a 10.0 start value on all events with good form, it wouldnt matter if you were home schooled on seaweed farm in Alaska, and you learned to do gymnastics using snow as matting. If you can do it, safely, and on competition equipment, they will notice.

That said, a first year level 9 may not be quite up to par with collegiate level gymnastics.. that's not to say it's impossible - it's just unlikely. Keep an open mind, and if you are determined, you can always walk on and build skills with the team the school has.

There are many options...

Your post was really helpful thank you.

I know that it would be far fetched to join a college team but it is my life time goal and i was hoping that a division 3 school might accept me.

would i have more of a chance if i was a level 10 at the time of recruitment? Because there is a leap in the level of skill from 9 to 10.

would i have more of a chance if i was a level 10 at the time of recruitment? Because there is a leap in the level of skill from 9 to 10.
Yes. However, even more important than the level are the skills that you have, or can show video that you are training. If you have "E" level skills, you will get college coaches to look at you.

Keep in mind that there really is a range of Division III schools. Some have gymnasts that made it to NCAA Regionals last year, competing with the top Division I and II gymnasts. On the other end of the scale are a few programs that will take Level 9s.

Do you know why your coach suggested this option? If you have previously competed USAG and have all of the level 7 skills, I don't really see a reason for making the switch. Maybe you could shed some light on that.
As far as systems other than USAG, sometimes they focus on different things than USAG would. For example, they are more of an opportunity for an average gymnast to compete in gymnastics, to allow lower levels to compete optional routines, those kinds of things. And depending on the system, the requirements aren't as stringent. I attended a gym that did USAIGC for 2 years. I was considered a level 7/8 in their program, but was well below that in terms of USAG skills when I attempted to make the transition back. So sometimes the switch from one to another is not too easy.
Also, NCAA coaches look to USAG competitions to find qualified candidates. That's not to say if you aren't involved in USAG you won't be recruited, you would just need to really work to put yourself out there and be extra proactive in the process.
There are definitely some D3 schools out there that would happily take a solid level 9 gymnast provided she has something to contribute to the program, so don't give up on the goal. I would suggest to talk with your coach, let him/her know your exact goal, and see what they would suggest in your particular situation. If they don't know what you want, they can't help you. Good luck!

Well my coach said that i lack grace so i would not have a very good score in level 7 USAG because level 7 where i live tends to be very competetive. I wasn't sure how badly "grace" would effect my scores.

P.S. AGA is a optional set-up program with a few skills becoming a higher or lower worth, it was seen as an alternative to USAG because of no compulsory rutine where required. Today it is a throw-a-skill frenzy at the meets trying to upgrade yourself through your all-around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back