Coaches Equipment Needs For L9-10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm trying to find out if a gym needs special equipment to train high level 9-10 gymnasts. Is a pit with loose foam required for advanced bar and beam work? Or can a gym get away with not having that equipment. I'm concerned about safety and how a lack of proper equipment can impact progression.
Thanks in advance!

I've seen gyms train upper level gymnasts without foam pits. Pits without proper coaching can be even more dangerous than not having them at times. Pits do take quite a bit of the heavy lifting off of the coach but I wouldn't say they are "required".

What are the options in your area? Are there other strong, successful gyms around? If you're happy, some gyms will loan or rent gym space to train in their pits. Check with your coaches. Does your program have athletes training 9-10? If not has it had them in the recent past?

Just think of working on your car...or building a house without modern tools. It takes much longer...it's much harder work...and you scrape your knuckles and smash your fingers a lot more.

Your club is using this...

hammer.jpg

Everyone else is using this...

framing-gun.jpg

Do you need framing gun to build a house?...no...but that's what you're up against.

Excellent point. The thread was exactly what I was looking for. Lots of passion as well! Our issue is that we lost elite coaches that agreed to come as long as pits and pit equipment were going to be installed. Owner did not follow through. Now reshuffle existing compulsory coaches who already don't spot great on bars, etc and they are now working with L7-10's.Now I can't see them safely doing advanced skills without the pit. Safety and lack of progression for such talented girls are a huge concern. Thanks

You don't need in ground pits to train upper level optionals. It would make some skills easier, but more importantly you need qualified and experienced coaches. The original thread asked if you need pits. Qualified and experienced coaches can make all the difference. Coaches over pit in my opinion.

You don't need in ground pits to train upper level optionals. It would make some skills easier, but more importantly you need qualified and experienced coaches. The original thread asked if you need pits. Qualified and experienced coaches can make all the difference. Coaches over pit in my opinion.

Sure...if you can't use the nail gun...then you'll just shoot yourself in the foot over and over. If you can use the nail gun...your going to move quicker.

Do you need the nail gun?...no.

Given the choice of a pit that came with a mediocre coach vs. a pretty good coach...... the pretty good coach is the way to go, because kids can still get hurt if they're using a pit under the supervision of a coach, and are far, far more likely to get hurt if the coach doesn't have experience enough to know the hazards involved with pit use.

Having said that, the better situation is to have a pretty good coach and a pit, because there are skills too complex that travel too far, too fast, or too high for me to be in the right place at the right time. Accidents happen, and they can originate with the coach catching a toe on the carpet or the kid traveling farther than ever and exceeding the boundary of the safety matting. That's going to end up with a coach desperately side stepping on a squishy matting to catch up with the athlete. Sure, that kinda stuff mostly happens in nightmares and very rarely in reality, but when it does the result is rarely an experience anyone would ever want to repeat.

I guess the bottom line is that I would have to cut back on some of the skills I'd have kids working, and spend more time running for ice packs (no, not for the kids.... for me), and coach a few less kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back