Parents Excessive loss of team members?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious--what percent of your gym's team do you estimate that you lose each season? I realize that it can vary; I'm just looking for a general answer.

Wow, 80% seems high! I calculated and ours was less than 10% during the season and all but one left before the first meet.

Now if you’re asking about year to year, I think it’s a little higher, especially for those finishing levels 5-7. But the numbers aren’t clear yet because school just let out and contracts and assessments won’t be due for a while.

I think we had 15 level 3s last year. 1 moved to level 6, 3 left to other gyms, 1 switched to silver, the rest moved to up to level 4.

Depends on the level and what’s going on at the gym. After L4 and L7 seems to be the biggest exodus years in my experience

Last year we lost about 15-20%, with more than half switching to another gym. This year was probably more like 10-15% with most girls graduating or just being done with the sport. No mass exodus this year to other gyms.

Wow, 80% seems high! I calculated and ours was less than 10% during the season and all but one left before the first meet.

Now if you’re asking about year to year, I think it’s a little higher, especially for those finishing levels 5-7. But the numbers aren’t clear yet because school just let out and contracts and assessments won’t be due for a while.
We started with a large level 9/10 group, the girls who couldn’t make the move from 9 to 10 dropped, all of the 10s got injuries that required months of rehab, there were 5 8s who all repeated, we started with 8 level 7s and by the end of season, only 2 remained. It’s pretty wild what happened in one season

Our boys team of around 50 lost 4 boys at the end of the season from levels 3&4 and picked up 2 transfers. All of the boys who left wanted to try other sports with less demanding hours. None of the kids from level 5 and above left. We are the only boys gym in the area, so leaving the gym usually means leaving the sport.

Seems like with each level DD moved up about half the girls in her group left the sport. Most of the time it was because they were falling behind skill wise and wouldn't have moved up with the group, they didn't want to repeat.

Just curious--what percent of your gym's team do you estimate that you lose each season? I realize that it can vary; I'm just looking for a general answer.

It really varies depending on how the team is structured. If you have a large feeder program (rec)… then the lower levels can churn a bit more.

For us we are typically in the 10% - 20% range. Typically if one season is higher… then the next will have a lower drop rate.

We also sell our first level as a “try it for a season” level. Some do just that… no problem there.

Its normal to lose more as the levels go up. Around 4/5/gold/platinum I'd say is the largest lost at our gym - probably 20-25%ish. But I also think it depends if you are talking about normal quitting/or are you talking about a group exodus to another gym. That happens too - could be personality driven, friend group driven, or simply a bad gym environment.

I think it varies more by level than year compulsory to optionals is a big jump we have lost a lot in that area also between 6 and 8 you start to have kids that cant get or are afraid of the bigger skills like giants beam tumbling and flipping vaults. Once they have gotten to 8 the drop off is slower maybe 1 or so a year. I am curious to see what the HS drop off rate will be. Middle School in general is another big drop off time period especially if you are hitting those scary level 7/8/9 skills during that time when the pull to be with friends and have an "easier" life are strong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back