Exercises for tri's and bi's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
The other thread about presses and rope climbing got me wondering....

What exercises would you suggest for 8yo who seems to have good strength for presses and cannot rope climb well at all. I would assume it would be work on her biceps and triceps, but should a child at that age be using weights?

Another issue is my DD has extremely hyper-mobile elbows. She is currently in physio for "golfers elbow" and also has "tennis elbow" in the same arm. Per the doctor there is more tightness and heat on the inside rather than the outside, but she tested positive for both. They are currently doing ultrasound and we are icing and resting as much as she ever rests.

I think this came from overuse while dealing with a bad case of severs and doing a lot of training with her arms while her severs was healing, but I would also think strengthening the area maybe an option. BTW they also suggested keeping the arm bent - my DD was in shock and said that was not allowed!

I would ask the physio what exercises he/she would recommend. You definitely don't want to be adding exercises that might conflict with rehabbing her elbow problems.

Rope climbing isn't magick by any means. it's similar to a neutral grip/supinated pullup that develops grip strength because of the rope. Obviously doing them in L or straddle L makes it more difficult and is similar to doing weighted pullups because of the load increased by a disadvantageous leverage of having the legs out. As well, holding L or straddle L requires core and hip flexor strength.

Sounds like is she has poor pulling strength. Work pullups, as horizontal rows if neccessary or spotted. Not a fan of banded pullups though.

I do like having the kids sit in L or straddle and do pullups on short manilla ropes hung from the UB. If they cannot pull their butts off the ground, allow the heels to stay anchored to the floor.

Betweeen 25-50 repetitions a session a few times a week.

Rope climbing also turns into one arm pullups when you do it legless.

Whether you use external weight or your own bodyweight, it still is a "load" of force or weight. Using external or internal loads is differrent on how the body works though, especially on how neurons and muscular motor units are recruited though.

Some curling or one arm dumbbell rows might be good for the elbows. Use a load that can be repeated between 15-30 times, 3-5 sets. This high rep, low intensity allows for getting bloodflow and nutrients to the joints which generally do not recieve very good bloodflow compared to othee tissues.

The severs just means more rest is needed for the tendons and ligaments which build and heal much slower than muscular tissue. 3x slower in fact.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back