eyewear and training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leapfrog

Gymnast
Judge
So currently I wear contacts during practice/competition, and glasses the rest of the time. however, my contacts have a habit of slipping during routines, and I really hate wearing them to begin with. I find them uncomfortable. I have been looking at the possibility of lasik, but that would likely be a stretch financially (probably around $2000 Canadian).
has anyone had any experience with older athletes wearing sports goggles in gymnastics? I saw a few threads but they mostly looked like kids who were not ready for contacts. goggles would be a lot less expensive then lasik, especially since I really don't mind wearing glasses except when it comes to gym. And I can barely do a back tuck without my glasses falling off, let alone doubles and twisting. it also looks a little more comfortable to land on your face in sports goggles then regular glasses.

For starters, make sure your prescription can go into sports goggles, most can only go +-4.00 or less. Mine dont, so when I need to, I wear a band around my glasses, most of which are about 5 dollars US, and can be picked up pretty much anywhere.

I have a pretty mild prescription. I don't know my glasses prescription off the top of my head, but my contacts one is about -1.5 in one eye, -3.25 in the other

Two of my kids now have to wear their glasses even while doing gymnastics/competing. We just got each of them one of those black straps that goes around the back of their head to hold the glasses on. Works great!

I've only got a little kid, but she does BHS, front tuck and strap bar giants with the coach whizzing her around in glasses that are tied in with a thin piece of elastic. We looked at the sports straps and they were less adjustable and pushed on her ears.
We're using elastic that is as thin as you can get and its both comfortable and stays on amazingly well and cheap :)

Oops, sorry, didn't realise which forum this was.

Is it possible that a different contact lens wouldn't slip? Maybe it's just a bad fit, and a different kind wouldn't be so uncomfortable.

I used to use a sports band for my glasses, and then I switched to contacts, and my contacts are fine with gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back