WAG FABS arch things?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
I have posted before about my 9 yo DD having plantar fasciitis that causes arch pain. It seems the X Brace is highly recommended; but has not been available for quite some time.

Last week my 7 yo DD started complaining about the same pain in her arch. :confused: My 9 yo says it isn't hurting as much as it used to - now like just a few times per week. The 7 yo has complained about it the last 2 practices that she had.

I'm making them both wear shoes that have arches in them rather than their cute little "flats". But I feel like I need to do more. I'm considering taking them to the orthopedist just to be sure this is definitely what the problem is. (it was a pediatrician - not our normal one; but one in our practice - who diagnosed it for my 9 yo.) My 9 yo already "has" a sports orthopedist who she saw for some back problems after a fall from the bars about a year ago. I'm thinking I could try to get them both in with him since he works with a lot of gymnasts.

Or maybe it is jumping the gun to go to an orthopedist for something like this? o_O If so, I feel like I need to do something to help. I searched the internet tonight and came across this post from here:
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/flat-feet.22445/

It is quite old though. Do you guys still recommend these FABS? Any other advice?

(I have been massaging, they roll their foot over a tennis ball and they have been doing some stretches.)

I just got a PM on here about the x-brace being available! Have you tried both the website and amazon or emailing or pming them on here??
I have the x-brace and it works wonders!

I just got a PM on here about the x-brace being available! Have you tried both the website and amazon or emailing or pming them on here??
I have the x-brace and it works wonders!
oooh, I just looked on the site and it is going to be available it looks like. But... that isn't until October 31, so more than a month away. :( I wonder if this other thing works as well.

My dancing dd has PF. She has it under control with only very occasional pain now, but it's a tough one to heal all the way for someone who puts the kind of stress a ballerina does on her feet... A strict regimen of ice, ice massage/chilled golfballs and ibuprofen is what works for her. She has inlays that she uses when it's bad, but those obviously don't work well in her ballet shoes. I recently bought her a ridged little massage roller that's supposed to be good too. When she was first diagnosed it took quite a while to get better (we are talking several months here, she's next to me saying about 6mo) and it does still hurt now and then but not as bad and only infrequently. Her pediatrician told me someone her size (she is a very petite girl and was 11 then, she just turned 12) can very safely take 2-3 ibuprofen or alive per day for a very long time without adverse effects. Another thing that helped that I had forgotten about was prescription anti inflammatory cream, I don't know the brand name here because my family sent me some from Europe for my arthritis and we had it on hand. I don't know how efficient it was but we had it and it seemed to help a little.
Good luck and have patience, if it is PF it is a SLOW healing process and that can be very frustrating.
Of course I'm not a doctor, only relaying what our experience with this has been, yours could be much better and faster but be prepared in case it isn't. Dd is a very healthy girl and had she been able to rest more it could have healed faster I'm sure.... But getting someone who dances 5-6 days/week to rest is probably as easy as getting a team gymnast to rest.... ;)

My DD is old now and PF is gone but she used to use FABS along with stretches and ice and they worked well for her.

Not putting bad flat shoes on your feet and never going barefoot except at gym is also key. Insert work great we use super feet while not cheap they are the best on the market! I have lived will with it for years. We have gotten better success from podiatrist for what it is worth for this an another injury. i do wear flip flops in summer now but only Chaco's as they have great arch supports. All Ortho wanted to do was keep her off them not really gymnastics friendly.

Good luck!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back