Favorite Quotes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ohkay, so i often find my self looking on google, or yahoo, or anywhere for GOOD insperational, gymnastics, or just meaningful quotes. what are some of your guy's favorites? thanks:)

At my gym, we have the gymnast's prayer hanging up in a few places. Its not really a quote, but here it is:
Patience is a man's greatest virtue,
or so the saying goes.
A gymnast must have said it,
for a gymnast surely knows!
That in this funny sport of ours,
discouragement runs high.
And even the very best will find
this virtue has passed us by.
When hands are ripped and throbbing,
when every muscle's sore,
will a gymnast still have patience
to limp in the gym for more?
When you've lost old moves
and progress seems slow,
will you still have faith in better days,
and not feel sad and low?
Can you admit your frightened,
yet not give in to fear?
Can you conquer pain and frustration
and often even tears?
When someone else does something,
you've tried so long to do...
can you still be happy for her,
or just self-pitty for you?
And when success seems far away,
your efforts all in vain,
can you force yourself to wear a smile
and disregaurd the pain?
If despite the pain and tribulations,
you can say "I won't give in"
Maybe some day you'll discover
that its now your time to win.

i put some of my favorites in the front of my gym journal :D

if you don't leap, you'll never know what it's like to fly

don't bunt, aim out of the ballpark

act like a champion - look like a champion - train like a champion - then you can be a champion

to climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first

chance can allow you to accomplish a goal every once in a while, but consistent achievement only happens when you love what you are doing

there are more that i can't think of right now :D

I collect quotes so I'll probably be revisiting this thread, but one of my favorites is the following by Avril Lavigne: "Don't like me for who I am? Then you don't like me for who I am. And all you're gonna get is who I am."

And in honor of the fact that this is a gymnastics forum, a quote from Mary Lou Retton:
"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

Last edited:
I don't think anything is unrealistic if you believe you can do it. I think if you are determined enough and willing to pay the price, you can get it done.

I am building a fire, and every day I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.

You will miss 100% of Tricks you never Try.

You run like a girl, you jump like a girl, you swing like a girl, you tumble six feet over a four-inch beam...like a girl!

Gymnastics is life. Everything else is just details.

" Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." St. Francis of Assisi

"Imagine where you'd be right now if you'd said, 'I'm only going to do the easiest things in life.'" Dr. Craig Hanson

" Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" anonymous
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

this isn't really a quote but we have it on our bullitin board at the gym.

First make you worst event your best event,
then make your worst event your best event,
then make your worst event your best event,
and finally make you worst event your best event.

My rocket has no breaks

Everything I’m not has made me everything I am.

I was born to be stubborn, to be moody, to push people, and to push myself. I was taught never to take things for granted, to live to the fullest, to love everyone whether I like them or not, to NEVER GIVE UP, but most of all, fight for the landing and stick it.

Don’t hide in the shadows of yesterday, be seen in the light of today :).

“Don’t worry about anybodies reputation, it just means they used to be good. They still have to prove they still are.â€￾ -The coach from the movie Nadia

Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus
Proverbs 12:18-20

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. Do not mistake activity for achievement.
- Mabel Newcomber

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
- John F. Kennedy

You've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing.
- Arthur Ashe

Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.
- Arthur Ashe

It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.
- Frederick Douglass

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.
-King Whitney Jr.

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy
-Norman Vincent Peale

Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much further than people with vastly superior talent.
-Sophia Loren

Faith moves mountains, but you have to keep pushing while you are praying.
- Mason Cooley

The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
- Maureen Dowd

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr

When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

In difficult situations, when hope seems feeble, the boldest plans are safest.
- Livy

Never forget that life can only be nobly inspired and rightly lived if you take it bravely and gallantly, as a splendid adventure in which you are setting out into an unknown country, to meet many a joy, to find many a comrade, to win and lose many a battle.
- Annie Besant

What is defeat? Nothing but education, nothing but the first step toward something better.
- Wendell Phillips

Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.
- Dr. Seuss

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-- Albert Einstein

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
-Albert Einstein

I used to think as I looked at the Hollywood night, 'there must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest.'
-- Marilyn Monroe
(I like that one even though it has nothing to do with gymnastics because it always made me realize, to get what I want I have to want it the most because there are many others like me that want the same thing, so I have to be fighting the hardest. I love Marilyn Monroe :) )

Knowing what you need to do isn't the hardest part of the equation. The hardest part, is doing what you know needs to be done

We use our fear as an excuse, when really, it should be our motivation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back