WAG Flexibility in half of my back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have an extremely flexible back, but recently I've realized that I'm way more flexible in the left side of my back than my right. I think it's because a lot of the skills I do that involve back flexibility also involve putting my good leg(right) in front(say a ring leap), so since my left leg is the one behind me, the left side of my back just ends up bending more. It's starting to get annoying because whenever I use my back, my left side naturally bends really far and the right side doesn't bend as far and it's starting to actually make some of my skills more difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to improve flexibility in just the right side of my back? I stretch a lot already, but that just equally stretches the left side so it's still more flexible than the right side. Thanks!

Work your other side/bad side split, kick to handstand, back walkover, cartwheel and anything else you can reasonably reverse or do opposite. If you're a lefty and always lead every beam and floor skill with the same foot, your going to build up more strength in "one side" of your muscles. So when you say you have less flexibility in one side than the other, it may be that you have less strength in the muscles that create the arch, and that makes one side arch more than the other and takes you out of alignment.

Completly normal, as you said your good side will naturally be used more. Try to work the muscels of your right side only during some exercises, it'll need some practice but you will get the feeling for it. One thing you can also do is get into your bridge, put your left leg up and hold it as long as you can.
IWC, that makes sense to me, but the left side of my back is also mor flexible and I'm a righty?

Yes, I'm a righty too lol! I think the reason that the left side of my back is more flexible is because if you think about it, my right leg always needs to be in front because it's my good leg--like when I'm doing a ring leap for example, my right leg goes in front, and my left leg is the one that goes behind my head, so I'm leaning my head back toward my left leg, so the left side of my back get stretched more--that's probably why you have the same problem. Make sense lol?

like when I'm doing .a ring leap for example, my right leg goes in front, and my left leg is the one that goes behind my head, so I'm leaning my head back toward my left leg, so the left side of my back get stretched more

You pretty well got it figured out. Try incorporating other side stuff into your general warm-up work, and any fidgeting work you do to stay warm while waiting for a piece of equipment or coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back