Flight on beam (USAIGC)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm trying to do silver in USAIGC. I need a flight on beam. So far I've tried BHS but that really hurts my wrists because I have permanant injury to them, and I cant get them to turn in the right direction. I've tried round-off but I've hurt my ankle EVERY time I do them... and I'm kinda tired of not being able to do gym just because I hurt myself on round-offs. Then we tried FHS, I like that one except, I am really really bad at forward things on beam. I can't even get myself to do a handstand on beam - its sad, and stupid.

So my question is: Are there any other flights that I can do other than BHS, FHS, or R-O?

Dive cartwheel, I think a dive forward roll would also work- but sounds a heck of a lot less pleasant to me than the other options. But I think the other options are better in terms of their ability to lead into something bigger. Not sure about your particular area, but I competed USAIGC silver 10ish years ago and at that time they weren't really too concerned about gymnasts meeting all of the requirements and deductions were pretty minimal for a missing skill. It might be better to just skip that element for a few meets as you work to get a skill worked out that you can do safely.

I was also going to suggest dive cartwheel, but see that coachmolly already did :).

Also, not sure how bad/what the nature of wrist injury is, have you tried wearing 'tiger paws' on the beam? They would prevent your wrists from bending too far. They would take some adjustment, but my dd wears them b/c her wrists seem to flex too far and she hasn't had any wrist issues for several years (since using them)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back