WAG Flipping wrists on kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymgem05

Proud Parent
My gymmie is so close to getting her kip! However she isn't getting her wrists flipped over the bar. So when her upper body starts coming over the bar, she ends up pushing against the bar instead of pulling her self on top. I can not figure out how to get the video posted here. Is there any advice or ideas someone wants to offer? Her kip is the only thing holding her back from level 4 and of course she needs it within the month.

When my DD was having trouble shifting her wrist and pushing down on the bar (was pushing herself away from the bar) someone told her to imagine doing a front hip circle right after the kip - for some reason, that worked and got her shifting and getting her shoulders over the bar.

Thanks so much! Great idea to encourage the front hip circle after the kip. I will mention that to her before practice today!

My gymmie is so close to getting her kip! However she isn't getting her wrists flipped over the bar. So when her upper body starts coming over the bar, she ends up pushing against the bar instead of pulling her self on top. I can not figure out how to get the video posted here. Is there any advice or ideas someone wants to offer? Her kip is the only thing holding her back from level 4 and of course she needs it within the month.

actually, mom...you must "push" the bar to do it correctly. NOT PULL. so...put up some video and we'll help you sort it out. :)

I think I figured out how to post the video! What I should have said was pushing against the side of the bar instead of pushing on top.... Still doesn't really make sense. I couldn't get video in the gym as we have a viewing area upstairs and the bars are very far, but I have this one from our swing set bar at home. We are just getting home from practice and coach told her, "if you don't get over the bar, you just don't want it enough!" Believe me she wants it and has been busting her butt to get it! Thanks for everyone's help!

Thanks a ton. I think if she can get her legs and hips closer the wrists will rotate on their own. I've been watching her videos and other on slow motion trying to figure this out!

Ok.... Any idea why she can't keep her legs closer to the bar. Is it strength or timing or both? I promise I'm not a CGM, my kiddo is so upset about this and I'm trying to help her through it.

okay. what i see is not jumping out at you. take a closer look. the bar is to HIGH. she is an ectomorph and has great swing. i'm assuming she does not have a glide kip on a low bar.

boys have a higher center of gravity. this is why 'long hang' type kips are easier for them...hence why Geoffrey said to relax her kip.

girls need to learn a glide kip first. and then long hang type simultaneously.

so then, mom, can you or her father lower the hole in the post so that she can stand on the ground while touching the bar? her knees should be slightly bent while doing so.

and tell the coach to get their head out of the...oh never mind. stoooopid coaches.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
We just got home from a short private session. different coach said that her issue is lack of core strength. She does practice straddle glide at gym, at home she does long hang.... she says she feels more power! ill see what we can do to lower bar and video her glide kip!

At home, have her do leg lifts. ie hang on the bar and lift her toes to the bar, no jumping or swinging. This will build the core strength for getting the legs to the bar on the kip.

okay. what i see is not jumping out at you. take a closer look. the bar is to HIGH. she is an ectomorph and has great swing. i'm assuming she does not have a glide kip on a low bar.

boys have a higher center of gravity. this is why 'long hang' type kips are easier for them...hence why Geoffrey said to relax her kip.

girls need to learn a glide kip first. and then long hang type simultaneously.

so then, mom, can you or her father lower the hole in the post so that she can stand on the ground while touching the bar? her knees should be slightly bent while doing so.

and tell the coach to get their head out of the...oh never mind. stoooopid coaches.

Sorry, i responded in a previous post. I am just figuring all this out.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
We just got home from a short private session. different coach said that her issue is lack of core strength. She does practice straddle glide at gym, at home she does long hang.... she says she feels more power! ill see what we can do to lower bar and video her glide kip!

actually, there is more going on than just "lack of core strength". but lowering the bar will correct that deficiency. having all that swing lacking the proper coordination and strength could find her 'eating the bar' if she actually complies with what the coach said in that "she is not trying hard enough" and tries as hard as she can. lower the bar. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back