WAG Flipping wrists on kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Relax, she is doing a great job. Any decent coach here would have her doing her kip in half an hour. She has learned, and is doing the hard part already, and very well at that. Remember she is kipping (at home) on a pipe that has no bounce, that makes a kip even harder. Just a bunch of drop kips with a light spot will give her the feeling and timing to knock that kip out of the park! I can't wait for you to excitedly post back 'she got it!', because I know that's coming any day! :)

Ok thanks for all the wonderful advice! she has been working on putting it all into action. here is where she is at today!
Coach told her again today that she doesnt want it enough and provided no corrections. We really love this coach and i am not sure what he is thinking!!!

Wow this is really bad coaching. Even if the coach feels that she doesnt want it enough, they should never say that. Some type of correction should always be given, you never know how the kids mind is processing the information.

Sorry i screwed up the quote above. My reply is embedded in the quote. :oops:
I agree. He told her before practice today, "I am only telling you that you dont want it enough to make you mad and drive you to make it harder" Seems like silly thinking. The coach is dd's favorite! I find he uses sarcasm a lot and these little girls just dont understand it.
My dd had 4 hours of gym practice yesterday then came home to work till 9pm last night (3.5 hours) on her kip. If any kid wants it... It is her! She told him tonight that she has been working overtime at home, after a big hug and some recognition i dont believe he will make that comment again!

This video at 3:10 shows this cute little gymmie getting her first kip using a unique training method. I have no idea if this is a "good" way to learn to kip (bent arms....) but it seemed to work for this coach. This video has 100k views, so I'm assuming it's okay to share the link.

I really enjoyed the video! We may have to resort to this technique!
DD actually got it a couple times tonight but just let go of the bar. I guess at this point she is use to releasing the bar.....and well falling off! lol

thankyou! That was so kind. I missed your post yesterday! I know the "big day" is coming very soon!!!
Relax, she is doing a great job. Any decent coach here would have her doing her kip in half an hour. She has learned, and is doing the hard part already, and very well at that. Remember she is kipping (at home) on a pipe that has no bounce, that makes a kip even harder. Just a bunch of drop kips with a light spot will give her the feeling and timing to knock that kip out of the park! I can't wait for you to excitedly post back 'she got it!', because I know that's coming any day! :)

what seemed to work for us is a lot of spotted kips. My DD was plenty strong enough, she just didn't get the timing. Spotting her for what seemed like hundreds of kips + getting her to wait a bit longer before pulling did the trick.

It really does just come one day when they figure out the timing by chance and understand what it should feel like.

This video at 3:10 shows this cute little gymmie getting her first kip using a unique training method. I have no idea if this is a "good" way to learn to kip (bent arms....) but it seemed to work for this coach. This video has 100k views, so I'm assuming it's okay to share the link.

Wow, could I ever use some fired up coaches like that! ;) Love the coach at :44 seconds! I think I will use it as a training video for my coaches! ;) Seriously, it is so nice to see such determination and excitement from everyone involved, that's what makes it such a great sport. Just when I felt that I have seen and know every kip drill ever invented, the old 'uni-bra kip trainer' shows up. Going to go contemplate that one for a while! ;)

This thread has been great to read, thanks everyone. My daughter is struggling right now too. I called her at and let her know the suggestion of "pretend you are going straight into a front hip". She has practice this afternoon so hopefully this will help to make it click. She actually has her long hanging kip already, she needs the low bar.

Wow, could I ever use some fired up coaches like that! ;) Love the coach at :44 seconds! I think I will use it as a training video for my coaches! ;) Seriously, it is so nice to see such determination and excitement from everyone involved, that's what makes it such a great sport. Just when I felt that I have seen and know every kip drill ever invented, the old 'uni-bra kip trainer' shows up. Going to go contemplate that one for a while! ;)

I found that video a while ago during our own KipFrustration, and loved it.
Funny thing is, since I don't know much, I thought the ball/balloon in the leo or the "uni-bra kip trainer" was a real/common thing! LOL!

This thread has been great! Read it to my DD who got one kip at open gym and has been out of the gym for 2 weeks since. Hopefully next week will be the week :)

Getting that kip can be so frustrating! I saw my daughter at practice yesterday and it was looking better but she still needs some work before fall season. I hope yours gets it soon!

She did it! About 7 times last night at practice! nd her coach looked as excited as she was. She jumped of the bar and ran straight to tell him and he came running to watch! Then a great big hug! They were both getting so frustrated, but the hard work finally paid off! Now, hopwfully she gets back i the gym and can still do it today! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! Hopefully a few more of you waiting for this skill will gain some great insight from this thread! Ill try to get a video to ight to share!

YAY!!! :D I knew it would happen soon. She really just needed to practice it a little more. Good job!

She did it! About 7 times last night at practice! nd her coach looked as excited as she was. She jumped of the bar and ran straight to tell him and he came running to watch! Then a great big hug! They were both getting so frustrated, but the hard work finally paid off! Now, hopwfully she gets back i the gym and can still do it today! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! Hopefully a few more of you waiting for this skill will gain some great insight from this thread! Ill try to get a video to ight to share!

video please?

Reactions: sce
Having watched the last of my three finally get a consistent kip this spring, I feel your pain - and congrats! Your daughter has beautiful technique on bars - here's to a good season! Oh, and don't let her get too upset if it comes and goes for a bit....they do for most kids. Then in a year of 2 she'll be doing 10 in a row as part of conditioning like nobody's business!

Woohoo! Awesome for you and your DD! Mine got hers today!! I can't do anything with the video since it was sent on FB, and her arms aren't straight lol... But she got up!!! She did it! The rest of the gym just cheering!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back