WAG Flipping wrists on kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Awesome job!!!!
My DD is still inconsistent, but getting there... Watched her last night in a short private, and every time she came around, I noticed my own body stretching up... like it would help - LOL!
I'm so glad so many of us are in this KipQuest together :)

Never one to say 'I told you so', but 'I told you so!!!' Congrats, it looks great, but don't be surprised or disappointed if it magically disappears and reappears for a while. That is very common for beginning kippers, so if she doesn't have it today or the next, remember our mantra........relax! ;) Happy for you both.

Edit: didn't see graceomallery's post

yes, Aero. her arm angle closes cause she is tightening up to make sure her legs don't drop diwn in the front of the glide. the 'floor' needs to be level.

and folks, it's not 'pulling'. it's a rocking/pendulum pushing motion. the transition to the above the bar is accomplished by telling them to elevate their shoulders or try to hit their head on the high bar.

Indeed this is the most misunderstood part of the kip for many kids and mare than a few coaches. Perception tells you to pull/force your hands and bar to to your hips, and when the kid doesn't make it they respond by pulling harder the next time. As dunno says.... it's a pendulum skill that requires swing.

I found that telling kids to lean back helps them get the most from the swing the glide motion starts them off with. When they look at me like "huh" I tell them that it's like a playground swing set and that leaning back helps them go higher even when it's moving their shoulders the opposite direction they want to go. Keep in mind that the idea is to pump the swing and not simply lean back.

So it's glide... ankles/feet to the bar... extend feet toward the ceiling while hanging/leaning away from the bar. The lean takes place during the first half of the kipping motion and the remainder of the skill is spent riding out the wave of swing they create.

Give it a try..... it just may work.

'I tell them that it's like a playground swing set and that leaning back helps them go higher'
I like that verbiage (along with other that you use). It's counter intuitive to the kids to think that by leaning back it's going to somehow get them forward over the bar. Same thing with back kips and jams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back