Floor Routines - What's the norm?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
So i was reading about floor routines on the site and it doesn't seem rare for gymnasts to pay upwards of $300 for a floor routine, is this the norm at your gym because here (well in my gym) I have never payed for a routine, music or choreography, and they have all been original (bar my current that was a girl who never actually competed it's floor music). All the music came from my coach or we found it ourselves of various sites.

I really like how our system works basically what happens with us is: Level 4, coaches pick music and choreograph 2 routines (one for older girls and one for younger girls) and all of level 4 will compete one of the 2 routines. Level 5 everyone gets their own routine choreographed by two of our coaches unless you organise otherwise but this has only ever occurred once in my squad. Everyone keeps their routine for 2 years but you can change if you organise music without coaches help.

As for music is concerned, unless you bring music to your coach she pretty chooses it for you and unless you really don't like it that is pretty much your music. We never pay for music as coach has a large selection on her laptop and I cut all my squads music as my coach likes 1:00 - 1:10 floor routines to incur minimum deductions. What is the norm for your gym?

A lot of gyms in Australia do not charge for floor routines. Since gymnasts need their own routines from level 4 they are often quite basic and a piece of music from the gyms collection will be used and the routine choreographed in class. But the more competitive gyms or the ones who teach the routines in private lessons or with special choreographers will charge that much.

A lot does go into the routine. Finding the right music to suit the gymnast, choreographing the routine to work for the gymnasts skills and styles, teaching the routine in private lessons, often further privates to polish it, time spent cutting music etc.

At my DD's gym, the level 7s (first level with their own music) share routines/music with others. Typically 2-3 gymnasts have the same music/routine. At level 8 the girls get their own music. One will usually keep the routine/music from level 7 while the others get a new routine with new music. They have CDs of music to listen to (companies who sell floor music always send CDs to the gym) and get to pick what they like, but coaches do encourage or discourage music. You can always bring in your own music, but the HC wants to make sure you do it legally too--so the parents do have to officially buy the music.

Once you pick out your music (or at level 7, the music is picked out for you), the choreography starts. One of our HCs does it, but there are some other options too. Choreography costs $200-$300 depending on who does it. And, yes, we pay the HC too, if she does it--she does put hours into designing the routine, so only fair she gets paid for it. If you get a handed-down routine (like my DD will be passing down her routine to another gymnast), then you pay the gymnast to teach the routine to your daughter. That's obviously a cheaper option (I think they pay $50 for that). At our gym, you typically get a new routine and new music every two years. My DD's up for a new routine this year and she's very happy about that!

personal music and routine here starts at L7 or in the Prep-op program. I've paid for 2 routines and one was $300 and one was $250. Had to pay for the music too which was another $70 ish or so. Most of the gyms around here seem to charge the $200 - $300 range plus you have to buy the music too. At old gym we had to pay $250 also for a beam routine. Ugh I hate that - I could have done what she got for free on beam. Usually if you move up a level you get new music or if you have had it 2years already you get new music/routine.

I am jealous of your low rates! My dd will likely be level 7 in the fall and will need her own routine. The going rate is $450 for a good choreographer. At least that is what the current level 7 parents tell me.

a "good choreographer" is a matter of opinion. and being expensive doesn't mean they are good. Your gym doesn't offer the service of a choreographer? All the gyms I've know have someone they either have on staff or they bring in. We can use them or go on our own but the "In-house"ones i think do the job needed. My dd has placed 1st several times with her routine.

Like I said - that is what the current level 7 parents tell me. I think we could go with a coach from the gym and maybe we will. I think we get a list once move-ups are confirmed and then I will know more. The price is just what other level 7 parents have told me.

Our gym flies a choreographer in. He spends about 4-5 hours the firsy day and about 1 1/2 hours the next day for review. He charges $450, not including music. The music is a "gift" from our coaches. They choose and cut the music. We had no say in the music when my daughter was a level 7. We keep the routine and music for two years. My daughter is due a new routine. The coach has asked her preference. I think the gymnast should have a say in the music. After all she will be the one performing it. My daughter did not particularly like her first music and routine. Hopefully, she'll be allowed input and so she'll enjoy performing it this year.

at our gym, the coaches do the choreography and the gymnasts pay the rate of a private lession ($50/hr). from there, it just varies on how quickly the gymnast pick up the choreography.

i have also done choreography privately and charged $350, but that included travel (2 hours plus mileage)

For our gym we get our routines every 2 years choreographed by our coach for $100. If you get one every year, you pay $150 for the coach. Some girls opt for a more expensive choreographer but our coach is fantastic so they usually come back to the cheaper alternative.

at our gym, the coaches do the choreography and the gymnasts pay the rate of a private lession ($50/hr). from there, it just varies on how quickly the gymnast pick up the choreography.

i have also done choreography privately and charged $350, but that included travel (2 hours plus mileage)

That's what we did at DD's gym for prep op (not sure if it's the same for optionals). DD paid $50 for her coach to choreograph a floor routine for her during a private lesson, which took about an hour. We got our own music. Granted, these routines are not too complicated for prep intermediate.

We get new routines every two years and my coach choreographs it. It costs $100 per routine, including music. If you are a senior, though, she does it for free as kind of a senior year gift.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back