Coaches free hip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi there,

if a gymnasts is stron enough to perform a free hip to handstand, how long does it usually take to get it ?

I have a gymnast who beautifully performs free hip to handstand on strap bars but on bars it is barely there...

Does she just need time ???

Oh, strap bar... It helps kids with fears and getting shapes right, and feeling how the skill should be done before getting to the real bars. Think of giants for an example. You do them in straps until everything is right, and then think about how long it takes to get them on the real bars without a spot, correct shape, and good form. Same goes with free hip handstand, at least for us... The strap bar helps get the feel of the movements so you're not just chucking it on the real bar. It takes strength, lots of spotting, and make sure the gymnast is also not scared because that could be your problem...

no she is not scared , she is 8 and really wants to get it. We keep doing strap bars and spotting on the real bar....any ideas how long this could take ??

I know what you are talking about..she has the giant on the strap bar too but not on the bar yet...

no she is not scared , she is 8 and really wants to get it. We keep doing strap bars and spotting on the real bar....any ideas how long this could take ??

I know what you are talking about..she has the giant on the strap bar too but not on the bar yet...
Asking my opinion I'll say this. The strap bar is an orientation exercise and confidence booster. They learn the general movements and the rewards of maintaining disciplined shapes, but little about timing due to the ease of dropping in while strapped, nothing about the bounce from the uneven bar rail (assuming their strap work is on men's bar), and forget the whole idea of how to include their hands in the pull action (opening their shoulder angle and following through to extension).

Figure on it taking a while.

okay..it sounds like patience ...well I am really bad in patience :) ....haha...I tried to explain the shape and what she has to do but right now I just spot and hope it will come ..:)

We've been using strap bar as an introduction to clear hips, in conjunction with spotting and a couple other drills. Ok or take it out?

As soon as she's able to support herself at the end of the clear hip.meaning she can choose to come softly to the bar or go into a toe circle, have her work on 2 clear hips in a row, and then transition to 3 in a row. She'll make a lot of progess if she works to increase her finish height and angle just a bit on the second and third clear hip. Have her always try for a bit more than the one before, and it'll come around.

I think the stap bar is a good step as long as it's a brief step used to experience the skill and for them to show an understanding of the shapes and the need to have those shapes. Get to that point and do another 150 reps before moving on.

well that is a good idea to try to make 3 clear hip (free hip?) in a row .....I will try that !! Thanks ! Maybe some other ideas ? Strength ideas too ? I think she is strong enough but I take some advice on that subject too :)

well that is a good idea to try to make 3 clear hip (free hip?) in a row .....I will try that !! Thanks ! Maybe some other ideas ? Strength ideas too ? I think she is strong enough but I take some advice on that subject too :)

Shoulder presses, handstand push ups, especially front raises...anything that works the shoulders can't hurt.

Clear hip and free hip are the same skill.

Here's something to read through and let rattle around in your head for a while.

I've used a lot of elastic bands to work on strength and shoulder posture for this through the opening. When the exercise is being done the kids pull the bands starting at just above and away from their hips. I know it becomes a push once they pass the height of the bar, but prior to that it's a pull (in my mind).... especially at the instant they start to open.

I don't care what we want to call it as long as the concept of doing a short and fast motion at dead bottom will provide the best energy to elevate with. The thought is that if you want to hit a baseball as far as possible you have to bring the bat to the ball when the ball still has a lot of opposing energy. When doing the clear hip the drop is the ball, and the arm motion to open the shoulder angle is the bat. Once either the batter makes contact or the gymnast executes their motion, the rest is follow through.

I suppose the way to look at "late arms" would be equal to swinging late or early at the baseball. The result being that most of the energy goes somewhere you neither predict or desire.

It's pretty much the same concept used in a back giant on rings. It's all about effort on the turn over to capitolise on the swing energy. Done correctly the rest of the ride to the handstand is 70% coasting with enough pressure to prevent slack cables and 30% pressue later in the skill compensating for what you didn't get from the drop and turnover.
iwannacoach, Oct 2, 2013

Just keep spotting them, one hand stomach other shoulder(or back of neck), don't pull the legs. Could take a day, could take a year, could take longer, depends on the child and coaching. Frankly, some kids just don't get it. I actually had 1 girl a few years back who for the life of her could not do a free hip, but competed a great stalder... Go figure...

It might take a little while but I think strap bar is great for understanding where you have to open up. Also spotting them on a normal bar will help a lot and if she's like most 8 year old gymnasts I know, it won't be hard to spot her. Another good thing is some clear hip drills like these...

and

I like the second one better because you can start with a shorter mat and work higher.

And then some back extensions should help too because you get the opening up motion... here is a good drill for the back extension rolls... It is really for blinds and turns, but the very first skill the gymnast does in the video is what I like to do for free/clear hip to handstand drills.

Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back