WAG Front Giant Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dunno, is it easier for boys to learn? Why? dd is working them on on strap bar and says they are very hard to get the timing right. I have no clue what she means (and to be honest, nor do I want to know.. probably over my head in terms of explanation) but was curious about the boy/girl comparison.

Yes...super easy for boys. Boys don't peel for two reasons...

1. There not another bar in the way
2. The bar is much thinner and easier to hang onto

Might as well take this thread way off track...

I was at Lake Owen with a guy from Arizona...former Desert Devil bar coach...Jon Aitken. He described all of this front giant stuff to me in detail and then showed me using the campers. It was all basically the same...I kept wanting to go faster...he said..."NO".

The whole time he described his 200 step front giant process...he was telling me about a gymnastics camp in the middle of Arizona that they used to run. Just found this newspaper article...

The Courier - Google News Archive Search

I knew I should have listened to him better. Great coach with lots of knowledge if you ever meet him...flies stunt planes too.

Anyways...I'll be fixing our compulsory lesson plans to include more front giant drills early on.

Great observation. When I first learned to spot back giants I thought I was the worlds greatest spotter because of all the kids I saved. After seeing them doing better with other coaches, I realized that it was me causing them to peel. Helping was hurting as I was causing their hands to come loose during the shift. Once I realized that, I've never had the problem since and I'm extra careful, especially with fronts. I spot back giants by wrist and seat, fronts by wrist and stomach.

Interesting , I am wondering if more attention should be brought to this subject during congress etc... Until this moment I have never asked anyone else...

very good. then we can have a discussion about front giants and i'll throw in my 2 cents. i have extensive experience with this skill, it is in the elite compulsory and i have a couple of published papers over the years on this subject.:)

Can u pm me the links, I am a sponge and love to get and share any info that I can get my hands on.

=
I have three who get pain in the elbows, all the way through the bottom. One of them just has elbow problems and the other two have extremely un-flexible shoulders, which are getting better, but the front giant hurts them so, on to the next set of skills i guess. It's 3 kids out of about 15.

It sounds like they may have tight, short triceps, deltoids, and latissimus muscles. Kinda a hunch, really, as most kids in a program such as yours have had the living snot stretched out of them 6 ways to Sunday........ Conventional shoulder stretching to increase the arch/extension through their shoulders isn't addressing the shoulder rom with thumbs turned out.... and I'm thinking, not sure, that those tri and delt muscles are hindering supination. I guess the same could be true of their forearm muscles, but less likely.

dunno, is it easier for boys to learn? Why? dd is working them on on strap bar and says they are very hard to get the timing right. I have no clue what she means (and to be honest, nor do I want to know.. probably over my head in terms of explanation) but was curious about the boy/girl comparison.

yes, it is easier, all things being equal, for boys. they don't have a low bar. on girls bars the tap is at a different time/angle than that of the boys because of that low bar. and then, when the girls does them in both directions, at the low bar and over the low bar, those 2 taps are a bit different also in their timing. :)

My front giants have actually been a lot better the past two days. Yesterday I only peeled once into the pit, and today I did not peel at all and actually made a set of 3 front giants. I am not sure what I'm doing differently, but whatever it is it seems to be working!

that's why video would be nice cause then you can be instructed on what your doing, or not, so that you know what he heck you're doing.

and sorry folks, there are a few published articles out there on front giants and they are all good, but if i link then i'm no longer anonymous. i hope you understand. so then, video of this girl would be instructional and we can go thru it step by step. :)

that's why video would be nice cause then you can be instructed on what your doing, or not, so that you know what he heck you're doing.

and sorry folks, there are a few published articles out there on front giants and they are all good, but if i link then i'm no longer anonymous. i hope you understand. so then, video of this girl would be instructional and we can go thru it step by step. :)

Got videos today! My coach first teaches bent leg front giants to an uprise, which is the first clip. The second is a clip of me peeling... [video=youtube;K6cSfbWuv1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6cSfbWuv1w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Got videos today! My coach first teaches bent leg front giants to an uprise, which is the first clip. The second is a clip of me peeling... [video=youtube;K6cSfbWuv1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6cSfbWuv1w&feature=youtu.be[/video]
=
Well, first things first, keep your shoulders open all the way down and your head neutral. :)

1. the shoulders are not elevated above a handstand position.

2. the head is out then tucked in to far. head should be neutral.

3. thumbs are wrapped around the bar. they should be at left and right angles across the bar and the wrist pads pushing down against the rail if you pause the clip just past the bottom, you can see that your wrists are completely closed, or what's referred to as a "suicide" grip. it's named that for a reason. you end up with grip lock and you get jerked off the bar. the wrists must be wide open when circling the rail. it also causes you to pull in to the rail like a pull up at the bottom. you can see this also right at the bottom of the swing. you should be in a stretched hang. the arm angle should be wide open from the time you start in the handstand and until you complete the swing.

4. you never teach "tuck" leg giants. why? cause those bent legs will lose to gravity at the bottom of the swing and get jerked straight. no one is strong enough to hold on once the legs get jerked straight.

5. the combination of all the above is what is causing you to peel from the bar. i commend you for being able to hold on as long as you did. make the corrections and you will notice a difference. :)

Well, I hope I've stopped shaking long enough to write, after watching your vid. ;) Let me first say you are pretty tough and tenacious to keep getting up there and giving that a try. Good for you! The second is congradulations on posting a vid on a forum. I've tried numerous times and can never figure out how to do it, so smart too! I think dunno was right on with his assessment, so I won't repeat or add to it. The only thing I would say is I've had girls that weren't technically perfect either at first, but they NEVER peeled like that. At the end of the day, besides what dunno had to say, I would just have to say that it appears you don't have enough grip strentgh for that skill yet. How many times and how high can you climb the rope with no legs? Your coach looks heavier than me, but I can wrap my arms around my girls waists that are your size and hang on to them while they hang onto the bar for 5-10 seconds. Do you feel you are strong enough to do that? Good luck and keep at it.
dunno, two quick ones. Didn't quite follow the no thumbs around the bar and in the video you posted did you like that girls tap? Thanks.

yes, her tap was very efficient for her body type. and watch her thumbs. she "releases" them off the bar after vertical in the fall and uses them again on top. and so on and so forth thru the second to piro. and certainly, she could have tapped a little more vigorously in to her flyaway. but still a great routine for this girl. :)

JBS - I suggest doing the giants on the uneven bars as you would on the single rail but take the low bar out. This is what my coach did for me as I was peeling coming down from handstand or under the bar because I was piking to exit the handstand as I was scared of hitting the low bar. I'm 5'7. Hope this helps

i don't suggest that ^^^. a fake bar needs to be used on a bar over a pit. why? because the low bar is not going anywhere. you must get used to it. i don't care how tall you are. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back