Front Handspring Vault Advice???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjaiderz1106

So, I have my FHS just fine over the table.. (Scoring in the low 9's)
But I want to get it A LOT better and im wondering if anyone knows some tricks??

This is what I need help with-

1. Understanding how to get your feet in front on the board
2. Going UP
3. Hitting handstand! :p
4. ALSO: Sticking it!

Thanks in advance!

1. The arm circle: have your arms down when you're going onto the board, a low fast hurdle is key.
2. Hit the board HARD, and circle your arms right up to your ears quickly. When you're going over the table, keep your shoulders tight by your ears.
3. By "hit handstand" I assume you mean don't pike? Drive your heels quick, and stay tight in your core, focus on a tight hollow during the whole vault. This sort of goes with #2.
4. Bend your knees, press your toes into the mat, find your balance, and hope for the best.

Also: Running faster can fix a lot of problems in vaults. :)

I have the exact same problems as you. so your not alone. my coach usually reminds me to put my hands far back on the table and to make sure I block. also, as gymnastbeth said, stay hollow

I have the exact same problems as you. so your not alone. my coach usually reminds me to put my hands far back on the table and to make sure I block. also, as gymnastbeth said, stay hollow

I usually get my hands to the end of the table, so thats the reason I cant hit handstand... Because I go to far and my heels drive over to much, So I go up a lot then get them down fast...and land in handstand, which has helped my score go from 8.3 to 9.15! :D

Make sure you're doing plenty of drills. Hurdle on the the board and make sure your leaned back, this will keep you from being forward in your preflight. It will also help your feet get to the front of the board and it will shoot you straight up :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back