DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GYM0M

Proud Parent
I have been following the "FHS-vault not clicking" and commenting as my daughter has struggled with this vault all season. Instead of hijacking the OP thread, I wanted to make some additional comments about DD's last meet!

Recap-DD is 7 years old, just wrapped up her Level 4 season, now training Level 5, also trains TOPs, 2013 Diamond Team. Anyway, she is very small for her age. She will be 8 in less than 2 months and she is only about 43 inches tall and weighs about 45 pounds. She is short and stocky little thing.

Her vault has struggled with scores previously ranging from 7.75-8.7. The lowest scores came in at district championship and north states.

This past weekend we had our state meet. She scored a 9.25 on vault. She was ecstatic. She also won the beam with a 9.85, but she was more excited about her vault score! I have been stressing over this event, and upon further prying, I found out that her coach lowered the vault table as low as it would go. DD estimates it was below "0". I don't have a question, but just wanted to say that it makes me feel better to know that her vault struggles are are linked to her size and not her ability. Now, I feel confident that she will get even better once she grows! *sigh* relief!! Lol!

That is a great score for vault! Good for her. We have a short Level 4 who struggles with getting over that table too. Us parents always hold our breath when she vaults.

Congrats to your DD on her vault (and Beam).

We have an 8 year old on team, will be 9 in February... about the same size as your DD. She was Old L5 and is new L4. She vaults on 0 and the first time she made it over all on her own was in competition... we always have 2 spotters for vault (one front and one back), just in case it is needed. We don't like the girls to scratch valt since they can just take the lower score with the spot as opposed to taking a 0 for the scratch... especially when they have good form - it is just the power that is lacking.

Good luck to your DD as she moves up. :)

TFS, it's great to hear that it's not that their ability is lacking!

Yeah, huge relief! DD scores went from 7.9, 8.7, 7.75, 8.0, then 9.25. When she got the lowest scores, the table was at a "1" ( says my 7 year old). So she regressed a little too in scores. I'm so happy my pint sized gymnast can vault decently on a pint sized vault! Lol!

Yeah, huge relief! DD scores went from 7.9, 8.7, 7.75, 8.0, then 9.25. When she got the lowest scores, the table was at a "1" ( says my 7 year old). So she regressed a little too in scores. I'm so happy my pint sized gymnast can vault decently on a pint sized vault! Lol!

A lot of coaches try not to vault girls on 0. Our coach starts them all out there, but moves them up to 1 ASAP. Our tiny one is the only one currently vaulting on 0 and she will probably keep vaulting at that size until she gets bigger / stronger. My YG gets to uptrain the FHS vault during this lull between meets and she will also vault on 0 (since she is new to the table... and because it will mean less downtime during vault since it isn't one gymnast vaulting, running back, vaulting again, etc.)

Is there any advantage to moving the vault to higher settings?
If the gymnast is coming in too high, raising the vault can help... if they come in too low, lowering it can help. They are supposed to hit the vault table at just the right angle and get a good pop off of the vault to get a good score.

Is there any advantage to moving the vault to higher settings?

It depends on priorities. A gymnast with a fast run up, low and quick hurdle, nice blocking/punch angles, and an explosive punch will do better with the table set to FIG regulation.

Slower and less powerful kids will have a harder time at the regulation height, but some coaches will want them to vault at regulation to give them extra motivation. Sometimes that works, and sometimes not.

DD vaulted at 0 until she was 10 and level 7....and still only 4'2".....but is now working chenko drills on 3 at 4' 5".....lots stronger now and good technique...I think keeping it low while she grew and mastered the technique did help...but she was the shortest kid in her level at State meets for 3 years, so an exception (in the youngest age group too....she's a wee thing even now half way through her growth spurt....hope she hits 4' 10" max.....)...bars were set really close until now as well...but in practice she was always encouraged to stretch her limits...

DD vaulted at 0 until she was 10 and level 7....and still only 4'2".....but is now working chenko drills on 3 at 4' 5".....lots stronger now and good technique...I think keeping it low while she grew and mastered the technique did help...but she was the shortest kid in her level at State meets for 3 years, so an exception (in the youngest age group too....she's a wee thing even now half way through her growth spurt....hope she hits 4' 10" max.....)...bars were set really close until now as well...but in practice she was always encouraged to stretch her limits...

Ooooo yeah we are in the youngest age division and smallest by far and away. We will be lucky to hit 4'8! She is still the shortest in her school too! She's in 2nd grade and her school takes 4 year olds. Does it bother your DD? My little one gets upset because kids always want to pick her up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back