DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm pretty sure it all comes from the shoulders but the heel drive helps with height if that helps. Oh and I think a fast run is pretty important too.

She definitely has an issue with slowing down her run when approaching the spring board. She had the same issue last year (in old 4), but fixed it halfway through the season. Looks like that bad habit is back again and it seems like it's a hard one to break. I know that her coaches have mentioned shoulder flexibility being an issue for her, but they haven't really given her any ideas on how to improve that.

I'm sure her coaches will work with her on it. The problem is if you focus on one aspect of it and the coaches are focusing on a different aspect, then it will lead to confusion. The handspring vault takes a while to master- that is why they compete it at L4,L5,L6 and L7! I know it can be frustrating to watch, but she is getting to a level where the skill are just going to take lots of practice and progress may seem slower than at L3 (or old L4).

Thanks so much @gymtigermom! I don't really want to coach her on it because that's certainly not my area of expertise, haha! I am just trying to understand what is "supposed" to happen when it goes right and what she might be doing wrong. I know that they keep mentioning her shoulder flexibility, but she has said that they haven't told her how to improve her shoulder flexibility. So she pretty much keeps doing the same incorrect vault over and over during practice. Her front hand spring on floor is beautiful and she has no issues there. I know that it's different on vault, of course, but wouldn't she be having issues in both places if it was a shoulder flexibility issue?

She needs to run like the wind! Plus other things but DD still doesn't get a good block unless she is just flying down the vault runway. This is especially true if you are a lightweight!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back