Coaches Front Toss on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

Does anyone know any good drills for teaching a Front Toss?:confused:

Usually a front toss means like a front tuck going off one foot...going into it like a front aerial, but then tucking and landing on two feet.

Drills would be similar to either the front tuck or aerial. Do it from floor up to a panel mat, then low beam up to a panel mat. If the gymnast physically can't throw it, I don't really know, because at that point I'd recommend building general strength and not attempting to train this skill yet, because of the high potential for lower extremity injuries.

Oh now I get it. That's a kickover front. I guess front toss is just easier to get outta your mouth.

Good drills gymdog, and your right on about building strength if the skill isn't there. I'd suggest 1/4 squat with a back leg in arabasque. Do a 1/4 squat and return to a stand, and follow it with a 1/4 squat into a jump.... land and return to a 1/4 squat position in one continuous motion. Pause with balance, check alignment/square, jump again..... repeat as needed, just like it says on a bottle of shampoo. Well probably 7 to 10 repetitions. You outta do both sides.

This is a skill that gets done more on the way up than at the top, and for that reason tends to be easier on the feet...... if you wait until your strong enough. The kick is fast and does not follow through in the sense of what is done on a front aerial, well at least my mental model doesn't,so the kick stops as the push leg gets straight because you can't add anything to the height of the skill by continuing the kick with your front foot off the beam..... so tuck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back