WAG Funny things only gymnasts do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One time I went to pick my ydd up after school and her gym teacher told me to talk to her about doing gymnastics during gym class, because while they were running that day she would through in a cartwheel or a front walkover or roundoff in the middle. Another time she was doing handstand walking down the store at target and the amount of people that would just stop and there mouths hung open was hilarious

I did cartwheel step in, back handspring step in, back tuck on my school's football field after my graduation practice yesterday. I'd do it at graduation today, but I'm wearing a dress and gown and want to be able to participate in our grad night. It gave me a little laugh because that's way more than any of our 40-some-odd cheer leaders can do haha.

Hotel hallways are absolutely irresistible.

Even I want to cartwheel down hotel hallways.

I used to cartwheel down the long hallways in my old law firm when I was working overtime late at night and no one was looking.

And I was never even a gymnast.

My kids don't really do any tumbling yet (they are little) but they like doing frog leaps everywhere. And dancing.

Reactions: COz
I also will admit to doing cartwheels at night in the hall at work :) Shhhh

My daughter hangs on everything her favorite is bars so anytime we are at a grocery store she is practicing her moves. She likes to watch TV and strange positions and is typically upside down while on a swing.

Just this morning, I told my daughter that she had something on the right side of her face. She immediately went into her "BHS lunge" (the thing her coaches have her do after she lands her bhs on beam, I'm sure you all know what I mean). When I gave her a puzzled look, she simply shrugged and said, "I'm a righty" and started wiping her face.

One of DD's teammates got in trouble at school for practicing pullovers in the door of the bathroom stall when she was in 2nd grade.

My daughter had gotten into more trouble for mixing gym and school than she does anything else...and given her penchant for eye rolling, this stuns me.

*no tumbling on playground (but mom, cartwheels aren't tumbling. They're JUST cartwheels.)
*no walking on your hands (but mom, I fall down just as much when walking on my feet.)
*no BHC on the metal bar (but mom, it's not like I was doing a giant.)
*no flipping from the swing when it's at the apex of its arc (sheepish grin because she knew that wasn't going to fly.)
*no BHS in the classroom (but mom, the substitute asked me to do one.)

~I was walking past a school a couple weeks ago an there were two little girls practicing mill circles and a full bar routine. It made me laugh because only another gymnast would recognize a full bar routine.
~I was at 6 flags and saw a girl on a set of cement stairs going up one by one and doing a handstand I each step.
~when I had really boring readings to do for school (like science text books) I used to put them next to the wall and do handstands while I read. I won nearly every handstand contest at gym after that!!
~at the park my friends and I never do the monkey bars we just use them to have pull up contests
~wherever I see a ledge or raised platform outside i find myself inadvertently wondering what sort of trick I would be able I do on it or off of it!

Multiple BHS across the front lawn. Front and back tucks into the pool (until I put a stop to them). Leg lifts on the towel rack in the bathroom (until she ripped it out of the wall). Back tuck flyaways off the chin-up bar that I installed as an alternative to the towel rack (sigh). Scorpion pose on the railroad tracks with a fellow gymnast. Cartwheels on the railroad tracks (and landing them nearly every time).

But the best is when she visits a karate booth at a local fair. First time she did this was at her school fall festival. She was in 4th grade. Kids would line up at the booth to deliver a kick at a rebreakable (plastic) training board and try to break it. Now remember this is a 9-year-old pint-sized gymnast (one of the smallest/shortest in her class). The guy pulled out the "easy" board which she kicked through with no problem. So he got out a harder one. Still easy. He tried several different boards on her and finally pulled one out and said "this is the toughest board I have". She got it on the second kick. Only then did she notice the collection of 5th grade boys watching her with shocked expressions!

Well my dd uses her hands more than her feet !! She dosnt walk out of school , she cartwheels and round off flicks into back hand springs !!! Thus creating an audience asking for encores !!!

My gymmie had a play date this afternoon, I got a message from her friends mom saying DD is upside down in her kitchen

Every day at Target I do back handspring stepouts or round off back tucks and everybody would look in amazement. :)

My daughter busted her chin open on a track at school and had to have stitches. I asked her teacher to please give her the rule that "feet must stay on the ground" for a week to let it heal. It was so hard for her to be out of the gym for a week and to not even do gymnastics on the playground at school. The only thing that made it better is I had just bought her ankle weights for conditioning so she was super excited about that. She is 7 and loves conditioning.

handstands while buying shoes because you need to see how they feel in the air and land.

I test out lots of my clothing like this in dressing rooms haha! You have to make sure they're good for random gymnastics moments. You never know when you might need to handstand or cartwheel.

She will go to a playground after a 3 hour practice and throw back handsprings like nothing. It also gets her an audience!

And we don't even need to go into "my living room is a gym," do we? ;)

I have never bought her even a wedge shoe because she cartwheels so much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back