WAG Gabby Douglas leaves Chow's Gym, moves to L.A.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think its sad that Chow put so much into her and now she is left really without reason. My dd loves Chow and said she would love to train with him one day - even if it was just summer training.
I think the fame maybe clouding her gymnastics career path.

It real is sad for her as a person.

Gymnastics or not eventually she will not be remembered as the gymnast who stiffed 2 gyms for fees. The Olympic gold will only carry you so far if your character is in question

Chow seems like an amazing coach hope there is a way to recoup his $$ spent on and same for Excalibur!

Actually it would be better for the gym world if she would disappear!!

I guess I feel sorry for her more than anything. I've read some things that make me question her mother's motives (about how in debt they were with gymnastics). As long as they ultimately paid Chow, they're free to make their own decisions. The end goal doesn't seem to be to continue as a gymnastics all around champion though.

The situation is sad but at her age Gabby is at least partially responsible for it. It is my impression that her mother is not the best role model. The money Gabby made will be gone soon enough, I hope she starts preparing for what happens when she is not as popular. Her fame won't last long given the history US Olympians.

I think it is easy to forget that most of these Olympians are still children. In my view, Gabby's mom is certainly to blame here, as I find it impossible to believe that she is letting her 17 year old daughter call the shots for the whole family, given what we know of how she managed her daughter's career when Gabby was definitely too young to be making any sort of decisions for herself.

She seems like the worst kind of stage mom and I hope that when Gabby comes of age she can take control of her situation a bit more.

I'm not sure why anyone thought she wouldn't do it again. SHe did it to Excalibur, she did it to Chows...the character of this young woman and her family is questionable, at best. I hope she spends some time finding out who she really is and gets some autonomy from the influences that have led her astray. She never paid back Excalibur, she likely will not pay back Chow either. This is sadly how she will be remembered unless she makes it right. She is more than a gymnast...good , bad or otherwise. I wish this young lady some clarity and maturity as she steps into making a life for herself.

I agree with the posters who said this is mostly Natalie's fault, Gabby is 17. Still a kid! She is still learning and making mistakes, but it's her mom who should be steering her in the right direction and not spending all of Gabby's money on a house in LA. Because there's no such thing as a "cheap house" in LA, especially when just last year you were complaining to the world about being "bankrupt".
Let's just hope when Gabby turns 18, she can get away from her CGA and decide what she really wants to do.

How did we come up with Gabby owes Chows money? It would be very disappointing if she left owing him money as it seems she could afford to pay off any debt now.

I understand her wanting to be with her family. It couldn't have been easy leaving her family at such a young age. She is young and reached her goal so time to go home. I hope she continues to give Chow credit for her success. She couldn't have done it without him.

Seems that Gabby didn't want to commit to leaving in Iowa for the next three years. I live in the Midwest. I love it here. Lots of people who move here don't love it. It gets cold, really cold. It can be hard to fit in socially as a transplant here, I've heard that from many friends who moved here.

From a practical standpoint, it's a big longshot to make it to a subsequent Olympics for any female gymnast. If Gabby stays in Iowa, most opportunities to make a living will involve getting on a plane. Maybe there are some more opportunities to make a living, get an education, etc. in the next few years in California, as well as training for gymnastics to see if she has a chance at the long shot. Maybe the training atmosphere is something she will be happier with, instead of being in Iowa with threee really talented up and comers nipping at her heels and competing for the coaching attention.

Plane travel is exhausting, and it's probably not good for gymnastics training. Her family didn't want to move to Iowa. She wants to be with them. She loves them.

Leaving Chow was probably a super hard gut wrenching decision for her, but all things considered I don't think it's sad or tragic or horrible, just similiar to really hard decisions we all make as we venture into adulthood. Fade into a "D" celebrity? Is that what all the female ex Olympians are? Athletic celebrity is very fleeting for all females, that just the way it is. Let's celebrate this kid and wish her and her family well.

As to money owed, I don't know where that is coming from but certainly if she legally owes him money she should pay him. Now. Period. And yes, her family should earn their own living. Hopefully they will. It's early. Now because everyone is sort of hating on her, I am starting to really want her to make it to the next Olympics to prove everyone wrong. I like to champion the underdog! Ha, now she is an underdog which maybe will make her hungrier! :)

I feel sorry for Gabby. She accomplished something amazing but fame is fleeting. But Chow will be fine. He has some amazing young gymnasts at his gym and I'm sure dozens of young hopefuls are waiting at the door.

I don't understand how the public would find out about gabby still oweing money to chows gym, unless gabby or her mom said they did.

Its only rumors until there is proof. Nobody really knows if she owes him money for sure, but hopefully she sat down with him and had an adult discussion regarding why she was leaving and didn't just walk out on him. That was how she left Excalibur and she left with unpaid debt...

I just don't understand why they would continue to train her and provide for her if she wasn't paying her bills - especially after going pro and making all that money after the Olympics. There is no excuse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back