Parents Ganglion cyst?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Carolinamom09

Proud Parent
Has anyone dealt with a ganglion cyst before? Luckily my dd is young (4), but she has developed a dorsal ganglion cyst. I can't help but to think that it could have possibly been caused by gymnastics. She has taken classes regularly since 18 months old and now does 1hr twice per week. Could that have caused it? Right now we are just watching it and hope it goes away. Has anyone here had one surgically removed? How long would you assume she would need to take a break to allow it to heal- a whole season? Thanks in advanced!

My dd has one. It flares up occasionally. I wouldn't jump into surgery just yet. Unless its so big it's causing pain and mobility issues. They usually will come and go. Immobilizing her wrist can help. Also doctor can aspirated to get it down. Also our chiropractor does laser treatments to them in his office. We have not chosen to do anything other than When it flare I apply some essential oil to it and it goes down. Has been working for us.

gymnastics does not cause them. and you do nothing for the time being because she is just 4. it could spontaneously perf and be absorbed. :)

Sorry I didn't think to utilize the search feature. Thanks for the responses. We are doing nothing for the time being but it's a relief to know gymnastics does not cause them!

I would contend with that. I got mine when I was taking a tumbling class and had been coaching more (and doing more gymnastics there).

At 4 though, I would do nothing. I can't imagine taking a 4 year old to get their wrist aspirated or operated on unless it become super serious.

Laser sounds pretty interesting.

Just speaking from my personal experience.....I had one that I had surgically removed at the age of 34. I wasn't doing any kind of sports, but it took me about a year to get full range of motion back. It was much longer than I expected. I had it aspirated prior to that and it kept coming back, and had started being really painful at times when I would hit it on something. I definitely wouldn't put a four year old through the surgery, though. It was kind of more involved than I thought it would be with a more lengthy recovery than I expected.

My teammate Megan just had one surgically removed TUSEDAY they don't know what caused it but it cause her a lot of pain.
There isn't any definite known cause but there are theories that it could be from trauma to joint tissue. Repeated stress to he wrist in other words. Like in gymnastics.
they are common in gymnasts

My DD (not my gymnast) is a dancer and is just now recovering from having one surgically removed from her ankle. She is 14 and the cyst was painful and interfered when she went on pointe. We had it aspirated first and it came back BIGGER...actually visible to the naked eye. The million dollar question is what actually caused it in the first place.

I definitely wouldn't do anything for your daughter just yet, just wait and see. At least you know what it is. It took us way too long to figure out what was wrong!

Yes, I have heard they can come back but I lucked out and mine did not.

I just want to be clear that I am NOT considering putting my 4 year old daughter through any unnecessary procedure. We are waiting and watching it. I was mostly curious about other gymnasts outcomes and treatment. Hers (the visible bump) is pretty large- the size of a quarter in diameter and sticks out quite a bit. I don't remember her ever injuring it but she is a rambunctious four year old. She complains that it is tender so if it does get worse in the future I was concerned about recovery since it is so close to the wrist joint and tendons.

I had one on my wrist. I have never been a gymnast and haven't danced for about 20 years (had the cyst about 3 years ago). The doctor watched it; but didn't want to do surgery and eventually it ruptured on its own. I don't know what happened, just one day it wasn't there anymore.

Just speaking from my personal experience.....I had one that I had surgically removed at the age of 34. I wasn't doing any kind of sports, but it took me about a year to get full range of motion back. It was much longer than I expected. I had it aspirated prior to that and it kept coming back, and had started being really painful at times when I would hit it on something. I definitely wouldn't put a four year old through the surgery, though. It was kind of more involved than I thought it would be with a more lengthy recovery than I expected.

My experience was similar--the recovery was much slower and more involved than I had expected. It wasn't painful, but the loss of strength and range of motion was surprising. It literally took years before I could open a jar with that hand (dominant hand) again, despite the fact that I did all the prescribed exercises and was active. There is no way I would put a small child through that unless there was no other option.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back