WAG Glasgow World Cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone seen the results for the English novice yet? A few photos/results are starting to filter through on my fb feed, although I'm having to work out who made podium by leotard!

Apparently there was a teams comp at Lilleshall this weekend too. Was that a regional one?

It was North West region team competition. They use Lilleshall as a venue. You can hire it for training too.

It was North West region team competition. They use Lilleshall as a venue. You can hire it for training too.

I wasnt aware of this. I know on saturday it was the elite grades course from half 1 til half 7 at lilleshall. They had catherine lyons and taeja james demonstrating the new compulsory levels skills. I didnt know there was a competition going on. I think the north west inter county team comp is this weekend coming.

They had a 'compulsories clinic' at Lilleshall this weekend with, apparently, more than 200 hundred coaches who were learning about the new system. Seems quite late in the day to be 'learning' about it!

I think there was a Northwest competition of some sort too. I noticed Beth Tweddle was re-tweeting good luck to people on twitter, but I don't imagine they squeezed in alongside?!

I've had some feedback about the English and it sounds as though the standard was high. She mentioned double twists on floor and flipped tsuks and other things, I can't quite remember now . That's intermediate obviously. I'd love to have gone. Haven't seen any results or pics.

They had a 'compulsories clinic' at Lilleshall this weekend with, apparently, more than 200 hundred coaches who were learning about the new system. Seems quite late in the day to be 'learning' about it!

How else are you going to learn about it. BG have only released a brief paper copy so far and no one has competed the new grades yet.

I meant that it is now late November, with Christmas coming up rapidly and then entry deadlines for these compulsories is early February and the girls will be competing early March.
I realise they need to teach the coaches, but I guess I thought, given that we all knew about the change in spring, they might have done it before now, so they had longer to prepare and take on board the changes. Those coaches who attended need time to trickle the info down to those who didn't and it seems quite late in the year to me.

Sometimes when I see that you have responded to a thread or comment of mine I get a sinking feeling because I think "oh , she's going to have had a dig, or put my comment down", which is often correct. I'm not sure what I've done or said to offend you Jenny, but I'm sorry if I have.

I agree that its late in the year to only just have done the clinic. I think they should of done it as soon as they announced the new compulsories. We have never seen how most of the skills should look like so its a bit late to only just be seeing examples of how they should be done

Flossy sometimes I think you forget that not all of us work for BG and have a dd competing elite grades at at big elite club with numerous national squad members.

Unintentionally your comments can come across as a little condescending, please bear a thought for us mere mortals at normal clubs. We are just doing the best we can.

I think there was a Northwest competition of some sort too. I noticed Beth Tweddle was re-tweeting good luck to people on twitter, but I don't imagine they squeezed in alongside?!

It was West mids teams at lilleshall on sunday. Compulsories clinic was sat. The Liverpool comp was a separate one - The Phil Tighe?

I saw photos of Liverpool at the novice too. And the vets was on. busy weekend for the UK

We were at the Phil Tighe 2 piece to watch DD's friends compete. She is not ready yet...hopefully next year. It was a really nice friendly competition but i can see i need to get used to a sore bum! Interestingly the non elite girls did really really well. Anyway, seeing her friends do well gave her some fire in her belly (she has vastly improved her attempts at lever press handstand practising yesterday/today).

There was some other thing going on with some elite girls. I think possibly county team practice but I can't be 100% sure since we weren't involved.

Not sure who went to the clinic to learn about the new levels. I agree that it probably should have been sooner in the year but suspect they have been training towards them anyway for months now. I suspect (but don't know) that it was more about explaining the ethos behind the changes as opposed to the actual skills themselves i.e whether they are designed to narrow the field sooner or allow late starters a chance. If anyone says anything useful I'll let you ladies know.

Alot of coaches went to the clinic and i know some from my dds club went. From what ive heard it was to demonstrate how the skills should be done. They had catherine lyons doing alot of the skills and the coaches could video them as reference to look back at. The elite girls have been working on the new skills all year but they havnt seen any examples of how the skills should be done. For example, the level 4 and 3 range straddle to front support would be nice to see exactly how it should be done and on beam the level 4 bwo to toes arm circle flick.

Well I am genuinely very sorry if you think I am condescending. I think if you read through my back posts you will find that I have always argued very strongly that the system is unfair, that there are very talented gymnasts competing grades and other streams and I've always been very supportive of everyone on here. I'm always thrilled when someone's dd has a new skill or does well in a comp, whatever their ability. My friends dd will always be my favourite gymnast of all time. She is amazing and being four years older than my dd, she encouraged her to take up the sport she loved. I think she's a beautiful gymnast and she's only ever done regional grades until this weekend.

And I don't actually think I go on about my dd's status or make a big deal of her comps or anything, I deliberately play it down because girls are moved out of her group all the time and I'm fully aware that she isn't one of the stars/favourites at our gym and her position in her current group is always on trial.

I felt the comment I made about the clinic being late in the year was a reasonable one and others have said similar above, but you did rather jump on it and I feel you have done the same for a few of my posts. It's made me anxious about posting.

So... if it's me, then I am very sorry for how I come across. I truly don't feel anything but support for all parents and gymnasts on here and I started this thread just to see if anyone was as excited as me about the world cup. I don't know how it ended up so far off topic :(

English Novice results are out :). On English gymnastics website, if you can get it not to crash long enough to download.

It seems to be surprisingly small- only four classifications, novice Junior, Senior, and int. junior and senior, with about 30 in each class. No "big name" clubs that I can see.

Difficulty does look high- Top DD's for junior novice are Vt- 3.0, AB 4.9, BB 5.5, Floor 5.5. Some low E scores though, 8.5 was the highest in the whole junior novice.

Those are interesting. There are some pretty big differences between lowest and highest DV's for each comp, almost 2 whole points in some cases. That's quite a variety at that skill level.

8.5 is pretty high actually thinking about it? I'm used to seeing it the other way round :)). Good routines I've seen usually get deductions of between 1 and 2, which would be an 8-9 E score? Very rarely deductions are less than 1.0…

Flossy the difference in DD's are probably due to a) the big age range. "junior" is what? 11 and under? so your 8 and 9 year olds will be competing against nearly 12 year olds. Senior is 12 and over.

The other I suppose is each clubs definition of "novice". I know at least 3 kids there that are training 24 hours + per week, and are on one of their clubs "elite" squads. And others whose clubs max out at 9 hours and don't have fully equipped gyms...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back