Glide/Long hang kip cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My kips have improved a LOT over the past couple of months, but the problem is, I'll do a nice straight arm kip, and then... nothing. I'm just on the bar. Or worse, my hips won't even be all the way on the bar and I'll kind plop down on the bar after the kip (not possible to cast out of that). I know a glide kip cast isn't required in level 5, just the long hang, so I'm mainly focusing on that, but also looking ahead to level 6. :)

I've managed some very small casts before on the low bar but no high bar ones yet. Are there any good drills for casting directly out of the kip?

I know in some gyms they don't even let you compete level 5 if you can't cast out of a long hang kip, but in my gym I'd be one of the few who could. lol

Thanks!

Something that always helped me was to focus on leaning my shoulders over the bar, almost so much that it felt extreme. It actually helped me with cast handstands too.

Work on doing your kip to front hip circle very fast (not pausing). That kind of action of getting yourself over the bar is what the casting action needs, you just drive your heels back and open your shoulder angle into the cast. Also, there should be no pause between the kip FHC in L5 so that will help with your routine this year too. Remember you want to go from a kind of "sandwich" position with your feet in front and shoulders near your feet (like a seated pike) and then pop into the cast (or stretch for FHC). You need to ride your swing over the bar a little longer, and not push back so early.

In addition to gymnastbeth and gymdog's excellent advice...

Drill: Stand on low bar facing upper bar and jump to front support on upper bar. Let your legs go under the upper bar and cast to a handstand. If this is too difficult then do it off a folded mat to the low bar.

Drill: Front hip circle cast handstand.

Drill: Pull over cast handstand.

Drill: Series of drop kips. As many as 10 in a row.

Drill: Bars close together. Sit on lower bar with hands on upper bar. Pull kip to upper bar and cast to handstand.

I always ha trouble with getting my casts!!!!!!! I got killed for not having a verticle handstand in level 7 last year because of this! The one thing that you have to remember is to pike?close you hips at the end of you kip going into your cast. I know my coach spoted me on this, and had be do a kip where he would then make me pike my hips and then do a cast handstand after. If that makes sense.

The one drill that triptwister mention about jumping from low bar to front support is the action you should feel at the end of your kip. A drill our level 4,5,6 do is get on the star bars (lower the regular bar if you don't have them) and put a mat in front of you where it is not low but not extremly high. Put your feet on it (so yoor hanging in like a upside down push up position, like if you flipped over you would be in push up position. but a little piked) Then do the action if you were doing a kip and at the end of the drill you should have straight arms andbe in a pike with your feet still on the mat. This is what you should feel at the end of your kip. I dont know if that made any sense at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that gave you some explanation. :)

** Here are some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8UN-a2tUI

This is basicaly the drill I was explaining but you have your feet on a mat in front of you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXmC9FPfdI

Last edited:
This can be hard to understand, but sometimes it just comes with working them over and over again. Try to finish your kip with your legs under the bar so all you have to do is swing your hips back and your casting.

These are all great drills, especially the one 'optinals rocks' suggested. My coach has a slightly different version, it seems a bit harder and really emphasizes having your toes in front of you right before the cast. Get a block (and someone to sit on it because it will probably move), and put it slightly under the low bar. It should be the right height so that when in front support in the bar your feet are barely off the block. Start hanging under the bar with your feet on the block - you'll be in a little ball- then extend you legs, keep your toes on the block for as long as possible and you are leaning really far over the bar, then let your toes come off/ jump if needed, and cast as high as possible. It's just like the last part of a kip. Try to do 10 in a row. If the block is too low you'll have to bend your arms which isn't right so try to get a block of a good height. If it's too easy move the block back farther, it's meant to be somewhat difficult. I hope that makes sense! I found it really helped me get my cast out of my kips. Good luck on yours!

so sorry it is pretty much the same, just in the video the kid's face would've hit the wall if she leaned over much farther. So do it on the low bar where you can lean over really far to over-exaggerate the motion, then actually cast out of it as high as you can

i also have a question involving kips. my level 5's cant seem to get pulling the bar from your toes to front support. they always want to "whip" themselves by bringing the bar from their toes directly to their chest. also, i cant seem to get them to keep their shoulders forward when they are going to front support. are there any drill i can try to keep them from whipping?

thank you so much!!
those videos are amazing!! they gave me all kinds of drill and ideas. will definitely use those in practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back