WAG Great Tkachev Spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow. Just wow.

This leads me to what are perhaps some ignorant questions, asked from the parental perspective. The gymnast does not appear to try to flatten herself out and fall on her belly the way I see the big girls at my daughter's gym do. Are they taught to fall differently when they are being spotted this closely, or is this just a weird spotting technique? Did she just not have enough time to flip herself over? Was the coach in the way of her flattening herself out? It just seems crazy to rely 100% on the coach to catch the gymnast upside down. What if his grip slipped or he were unable to absorb the full force of the impact?

She's not turned over the right way because she hit the bar instead of clearing it. From the spotting position and the way the coach catches her, it does seem like it's a regular occurrence.

My dd had been working jaegers for several months, catching them inconsistently, but safely falling to the mat, usually after tapping the bar. She had even competed one in a meet (but did not catch bar) Then one day out of the blue she pulled in and hit arms and legs on the bar and landed on back/lower neck on resi mat. She and coach talked about it, reviewed the video, she went back to the bar, did the same thing! At that point the coach took her back to the drills, worked back to spotted jaegers and is now back to working them independently again. We still don't know why she just out of the blue had a problem with them one day. Now she just started training Tkachevs which also scare me to death….

Yeah there is no way that clears the bar in any confidence inducing way regularly if she swings down like that.

You should see a big long swing with an aggressive open at the bottom, like trying to draw a big circle. Think about the trajectory a swing makes when goes back and forth. She piked her body down and swung through straight so she had no momentum.

Now maybe she just had a bad week or had trouble adjusting to the bars/podium. Whether she taps properly and clears the bar regularly I couldn't say, her coach would have to let us know.

the coach needs to work on his knowledge of Tkatchevs.

1. the girl does a bail. a bail that would have been perfect for a bail to handstand, bail to Pak or even bail to Bardwaj. THIS IS NOT THE PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR A GIANT TO TAP FOR THIS RELEASE MOVE. coaches, please don't watch this as a model.
OK, I am pretty impressed with my daughter right now because she said exactly what you just said - she thought the girl was getting ready for a bail to HS. She learned an overshoot HS this summer and is in the process of learning a Ray, so I guess she is honed into the difference. Thankfully dd tends to go too far away from the bar rather than too close.

Wow. Just wow.

This leads me to what are perhaps some ignorant questions, asked from the parental perspective. The gymnast does not appear to try to flatten herself out and fall on her belly the way I see the big girls at my daughter's gym do. Are they taught to fall differently when they are being spotted this closely, or is this just a weird spotting technique? Did she just not have enough time to flip herself over? Was the coach in the way of her flattening herself out? It just seems crazy to rely 100% on the coach to catch the gymnast upside down. What if his grip slipped or he were unable to absorb the full force of the impact?

There's no way she could have done this. Yes that is what she should do if her body was moving the "big circle" but from the swing she did, it would not happen this way.

the coach needs to work on his knowledge of Tkatchevs.

1. the girl does a bail. a bail that would have been perfect for a bail to handstand, bail to Pak or even bail to Bardwaj. THIS IS NOT THE PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR A GIANT TO TAP FOR THIS RELEASE MOVE. coaches, please don't watch this as a model.

2. the girl lifted her legs...instead of driving them down and forward. now you question again what this girl was taught.

3. she had no idea where she was on the 1st attempt. coaches can see this.

4. she had no idea where she was on the 2nd attempt. coaches can see this.

5. bad idea
Just saved me a bunch of writing. I also thought she was going to bail or pak.... Wow, Horrible technique. !

The fall looks like it could have caused some major injury. There are a lot of inexperienced coaches that, for lack of a better word, use their gymnasts as guinea pigs. I think specifically in Level 10 (and Level 9) where the skill difficulty and gravity of injury is at its highest, there must be a system in place to protect unsuspecting gymnasts and their family from coaches who have no business coaching certain skills.

The fall looks like it could have caused some major injury. There are a lot of inexperienced coaches that, for lack of a better word, use their gymnasts as guinea pigs. I think specifically in Level 10 (and Level 9) where the skill difficulty and gravity of injury is at its highest, there must be a system in place to protect unsuspecting gymnasts and their family from coaches who have no business coaching certain skills.
Actually the judges do have the power to deny a trick . Apparently they didn't feel it was unsafe! Yea ...

Well he had her salute and not finish the routine at all so maybe she made it before that, or at least over the bar with a little room to spare. If they had planned to go in like that I would think she would finish something? So that's the only thought I have in favor of that. Clearly there are some technical issues but maybe she tapped a little harder and got over the bar and he caught her more upright.

Thanks for the technical explanation, Dunno. It was obvious to me that something was terribly wrong about the entry, but now I can really see and have an inkling of an understanding of why it isn't working for her.

Actually the judges do have the power to deny a trick . Apparently they didn't feel it was unsafe! Yea ...

But do judges generally know what is involved in performing a skill or if a gymnast is performing the skill technically correct or safe? I've never experienced or heard anywhere in our area that a judge stopped a gymnast from performing a skill. This is a power judges probably rarely exercise.

But do judges generally know what is involved in performing a skill or if a gymnast is performing the skill technically correct or safe? I've never experienced or heard anywhere in our area that a judge stopped a gymnast from performing a skill. This is a power judges probably rarely exercise.
They can and I have only seen it once. Surprised they didn't protest this one.

To be fair I would have never expected her to attempt it again when she got back up anyway. I assumed she going to continue the rest of the routine...

I showed this to my (L8) DD. She was horrified. She can't understand why the girl would attempt to do that skill in a competition if it clearly wasn't ready.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back